MySurrey Voice platform privacy notice
The University of Surrey is the “data controller” of your personal data. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945) and we are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation.
We have a named Data Protection Officer, Elizabeth Powis, who can be contacted at email@example.com.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data when you access the MySurrey Voice platform powered by Unitu.
Do note that you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data, in addition to this notice, when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
We hold and process the following personal data about our staff and students who access the MySurrey Voice platform powered by Unitu. This includes your single sign on information, in particular your:
- First and last name
- Email address
We obtain this data directly from you at the time that you set up an IT account.
We collect the posts made by you on MySurrey Voice platform, which are student’s ‘collective’ feedback on their student and learning experience which can be categorised as question, praise, idea or issue.
The University collects only the data we need to enable us to identify you and enable you to log on to the MySurrey Voice platform. We keep the data up to date and only for as long as it is needed.
We process your data in our legitimate interests to improve student satisfaction and close the feedback loop. The purpose of the processing includes:
- Managing student feedback and responding to it
- Follow up with staff to manage student feedback
- Monitoring feedback
- Promote and respond to student feedback
- Monitoring student engagement and satisfaction.
These legitimate interests are determined through an assessment made by weighing our requirements against the impact of the processing on you.
Our legitimate interests will never override your right to privacy and the freedoms that require the protection of your personal data. If you are interested in learning more about this legitimate interest assessment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University processes personal data in accordance with data protection legislation and its own Data Protection Policy (PDF).
We will use your single sign on data for this purpose to:
- Authenticate users against the MySurrey Voice platform
- Enable you to access your departmental board for you to provide academic feedback
- Allow the University to bring transparency and visibility on the feedback raised by students
- Enable better communication and collaboration between students, student reps, and staff members
- Monitor and follow up on feedback provided and resolve issues and questions raised in a timely manner
- Monitor the effectiveness of the MySurrey Voice platform to close the feedback loop
- Identify any ideas to improve University student experience.
We may also use pseudonymised data as part of a University based research project, to evaluate the effectiveness of MySurrey Voice platform.
We keep your personal data for as long as you are employed or studying here and hold a university IT account. It will then be securely destroyed.
We take the security of the personal data we hold seriously. Details on university wide measures surrounding IT security can be found in the principal IT Security Policy (PDF) which sets out the definition of, commitment to and requirements of information technology and security.
We have internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the performance of their duties.
Where we engage third parties to process personal data on our behalf, they do so on the basis of written instructions contained within a contract, are under a duty of confidentiality and are obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data.
We share aggregated data with the VP Education Office, Directors of Learning and Teaching and Head of Student Services, as MySurrey Voice University administrators, or their authorised representative.
We may also share pseudonymised data with university based researchers to enable them to undertake evaluative research into MySurrey Voice platform on behalf of the University.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
- If you would like to exercise any of your rights please visit our make a privacy request section.
Make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.
If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.