Dr Nikolaos Gkotsis-Papaioannou
Dr. Nikolaos Gkotsis Papaioannou is Teaching Fellow in International Politics in the Department of Politics.
He holds a PhD in Politics from the University of Surrey. His doctoral thesis concerned the role of the European External Action Service in the evolution of the European Union's global actorness as a normative power, with a focus on the military operations in Somalia as case studies. He holds an LLM in Public International Law from Queen Mary and Westfield College (University of London), and a Bachelors in Political Science and Public Administration: International and European Studies from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (Greece).
University roles and responsibilities
- Politics Director of Communication
- Senior Personal Tutor - Student Experience and Wellbeing
- PGR Seminars & Events Lead
- Wellbeing Champion
Affiliations and memberships
Research areas of expertise: Normative Power Europe (NPE) theory; European External Action Service (EEAS); EU global actorness; EU Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP); EU - Africa relations; military operations in Somalia - EUNAVFOR and EUTM.
Pedagogical Research themes: critical pedagogies; transdisciplinarity; pedagogy of care; active learning/teaching practices; 'punk' pedagogies.
2019 Student Summer Internships Supervision, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS), University of Surrey - Secondary supervisor for three of four projects undertaken by undergraduate students.
2019 WhoGetsYourVoteUK – Expert coding of campaign-relevant material for the 2019 UK National Elections (University of Oxford Internet Institute, University of Bath, Zürich University, Oxford Brookes, University of Surrey and University of Swansea).
2019 Country Expert for Greece - Expert coding of campaign-relevant material for the 2019 European Parliament Elections ( European University Institute EUI, Florence).
POL2027 - Approaches to Research
POL3070 / POLM035 – Negotiating Politics and Policy/Negotiating and Lobbying in Public Affairs
POLM009 - Introduction to Research
POL1027 - Politics of Crisis
POL2029 - Comparative Politics and Government
POL3085 - Research Lab
- 09/2018 Gkotsis Papaioannou, N. (2018), “EU Snapshots: A Chronology of 2017”, Journal of Common Market Studies Annual Review.
- 11/2019 Gkotsis Papaioannou, N. (2019), “EU Snapshots: The 2018 Kaleidoscope”, Journal of Common Market Studies Annual Review.
- 10/2020 Gkotsis Papaioannou, N. (2020), “EU snapshots: 2019 a blurred view of the horizon”, Journal of Common Market Studies Annual Review.
- 10/2021 Gkotsis Papaioannou, N. (2021), “EU Snapshots: 2020 Navigating Uncharted Crises”, Journal of Common Market Studies Annual Review.