Framing Learning through the Curriculum
Attendance dates:March 2021: 01, 02, 03
April 2021: 21, 22
May 2021: 25
Distance learning / Kate Granger Building, 30 Priestley Road, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7YH
Some modules may be taught at: Stag Hill campus, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
- Module code
This module will enable you to gain an understanding of the processes involved in curriculum design and development and to explore innovative strategies to enhance the learning journey.
On successful completion of the module, you will be able to:
- Critically analyse and demonstrate an understanding of a range of curriculum models.
- Be critically aware of the social, economic and political factors which influence the curriculum in practice and higher education settings.
- Analyse curriculum documentation and specifications to inform your approach to curriculum design, delivery and evaluation.
- Develop the skills associated with creativity to generate new ways of delivery.
Indicative module content includes:
- Curriculum philosophy, design and models
- Factors influencing the curriculum
- Role and value of information and communications technology (ICT) in the curriculum
- Integrating skills laboratories into curriculum design
- Competency-based curriculum
- Building on experience
- The learning journey through the curriculum.
Learning and teaching methods
For the 2020/21 curriculum our CPD modules will be delivered using hybrid learning. This means that depending on the subject and content of learning and teaching, modules may be delivered solely online or via a combination of face to face and online delivery, however for all programmes face to face contact time will be reduced, as per Government guidelines and to ensure the reduction of risk for all. Further information can be sought from the course leader (see below).
Usual learning and teaching methods include:
- Group work
- Case studies
The development of a curriculum through the selection of a current initiative or innovation in the your field of practice.
A formal presentation of the curriculum to your peer group which will take the form of an internal validation event.
Take a look at the module reading list.
- Ability to study at level 7
- Professional registration as a healthcare professional:
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Working in health and social care.
Fees and funding
How to apply
Please download and fill in an application form.
It is important to ensure that you complete all sections and answer all questions, incomplete forms will cause a delay and may result in you missing out on an available place.
Send your completed application back to us at the address or email included on the form.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
If your sponsoring healthcare provider is funding you for this module, by submitting an application you agree to allow all information regarding your module (for example your exam results) to be shared with the sponsoring provider.
If you withdraw less than seven days before the module commences or do not attend on the first day (without informing the module administrator) the full cost of the module will be charged. Withdrawals after the module commences will also be charged.
Places are confirmed approximately one month before the module start date. Please note that modules may be subject to teaching availability, student demand and/or class size caps.
Modules listed are indicative, reflecting the information available at the time of publication. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to module content) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the module. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a module with us. Read more.