Pre-Sessional English Language 11 weeks (PS11)
- Start date:
- 16 June 2023
- Attendance dates:
- Friday 16 June – Friday 1 September 2023
- Time commitment:
- Monday to Friday for 11 weeks
- We are currently planning to deliver PS11 courses face-to-face in 2023Stag Hill campus, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
- Contact details:
- Tel: +44 (0)1483 689911
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an international student planning to study on a degree course with us but don't meet our initial English language requirements, you may benefit from our Pre-Sessional English Language 11 weeks (PS11) course.
If you think you may need a pre-sessional course, you should apply for the course at the same time as you apply for your degree.
You will automatically be moved onto your degree course on successful completion of PS11, if this is condition of your offer. You will not need to take any additional external language tests, including IELTS.
- Ability to write in an appropriate academic style
- Research and referencing skills, including adopting a critical approach to data
- Lecture listening and note-taking skills
- Speaking and academic presentation skills
- Reading efficiency
- Academic vocabulary
- Ability to work independently and in groups
- Confidence in your own ability to study in English
- Strategies to deal with the demands of a degree course in English.
- Language fluency and accuracy
- Academic presentation skills
- Academic study skills
- Fully referenced academic essays
- Listening and note-taking in lectures
- Reading skills including your ability to understand the structure, ideas and arguments presented in academic texts
- Independent learning, time management, independent study and other organisational skills.
Learning and teaching methods
- Reading and listening activities
- Speaking practice
- Group discussions
- Independent study
- One-to-one tutorials.
There will be final assessments in all four skills.
To be eligible for our Pre-Sessions English Language 11 weeks (PS11) course you will need to:
- Have already accepted a degree offer with us
- Provide the latest UKVI IELTS (Academic) and UKVI PEARSON (Academic) test result taken within the last two years.
English language requirements
For visa purposes, the Pre-sessional course can only accept UKVI IELTS (Academic) and UKVI PEARSON (Academic) test result taken within the last two years.
To be eligible for this Pre-Sessional English Language 11 weeks (PS11) course, you will need to have achieved an overall IELTS Academic score of 1.0 below the required level for your degree course, with no lower than 1.0 in all other components.
For students who are required to have a higher or lower IELTS Academic score for the degree offer condition, the minimum entry levels for all pre-sessional courses will be correspondingly higher or lower.
If you present multiple English test results, you will only be judged on the most recent test.
Example entry scores
Applicants who need an IELTS Academic 6.5 overall with no lower than 6.0 in each component for their degree course:
Applicants who need an IELTS Academic 6.5 overall with no lower than 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in all other components for their degree course:
Fees and funding
Price per person:
What these fees include
- 10% deposit: £500
- Remaining course fees: £4,500*
*We require the remaining fee to be paid four weeks before the course starts.
Throughout the duration of your studies it is likely that you will incur additional costs.
If you are being sponsored, evidence of this must be supplied to us after your initial application is made, via the applicant portal.
This has to be issued by an authorised officer of an official sponsoring body and have a recent date of issue. This should be on company headed paper and should clearly state:
- Your name and university number
- The programme for which you have been offered a place
- The level of fees that will be paid by the company
- The address the invoice should be sent to
- That the fees will be paid directly to the University of Surrey.
How to apply
Applications for this course are online. We would advise you to apply as soon as possible as places are limited.
Applications typically close four weeks before the start of the course, or earlier if we reach a maximum number of applications. If we still have spaces on the course, we may extend the application deadline date.
You are required to upload documents as evidence:
- Evidence of your English language level: if you require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and a Student visa, you will need to supply an UKVI IELTS (Academic) or UKVI PEARSON (Academic) report
- A valid colour copy of your passport or EU National Identity card (valid for international travel)
- A copy of your sponsorship letter (if you are a sponsored student).
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
University can only issue a CAS number to cover the part of the course which takes place in person. At the end of the pre-sessional course, in order to apply for a Student visa for your degree course, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), a unique reference number, which is confirmation of your unconditional offer to study with us. A 10% deposit or proof of sponsorship for the total is necessary to receive a CAS and be accepted.
Please note, if you fail to successfully complete this 11-week course, and this is a condition of your offer, you will not be able to study on your degree course and your Student visa will be withdrawn, unless you re-take and pass the IELTS.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
The deposit or fees for the Pre-Sessional English Language 11 weeks (PS11) course, paid to the University, can only be refunded for one of the following reasons:
- Refusal of a student visa for overseas applicants, in the event that proof of a rejection is sent and the University can verify via the UKVI system that the individual has been rejected and refused entry to the UK
- The applicant has not met the conditions of their Pre-sessional course offer.
A £100 administrative payment which covers the administrative time as well as the cost of issuing a CAS certificate will be deducted.
- The University is unable to offer the Pre-sessional course
- The University closes the Pre-sessional course
- The University cannot fulfil its offer of a place for the Pre-sessional course.
A full refund of any paid course deposit or fee will be refunded.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.
Course location and contact details
Campus locationStag Hill
Stag Hill is the University's main campus and where the majority of our courses are taught.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +44 (0)1483 689911
University of Surrey
Surrey GU2 7XH