Additional costs

Certain courses at the University of Surrey may require additional expenditure. 

Course-specific costs

Modest charges are made by some faculties or departments for supplementary materials or services, for example, photocopied handouts. The University endeavours to keep these additional costs as low as possible. Any increase to costs will be in line with inflation, unless there are identifiable above-inflation costs directly associated with the activity. These may, for example, include costs charged by third parties.

 If your course has any additional costs you will find a breakdown of these on the programme page. 

Please note: whilst the tuition fee rates are for the academic year, any additional costs listed are for the entire programme. 

Below we have provided an example list of additional costs that you may encounter, relating to your programme.

Please note: this list is not exhaustive and your individual expenditure may vary, depending on your choice of degree and modules.

  • General/programme additional costs
  • Books/stationery/administrative
  • Commuting (local travel expenses)
  • Production expenses
  • Safety equipment and/or uniform
  • Trips (including overseas travel and accommodation)
  • UK-based activity

Examples of costs falling within each of these categories include:

  • Professional body membership
    For some programmes you will be required to obtain professional body membership and pay the associated fee.
  • DBS checks
    Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks are required for certain healthcare programmes. These costs can be found on the Government website.
  • Visa fees
    If you are an international student there will be visa-related costs. The Government’s visa fees tool will help you calculate these costs.
  • Professional Training placements
    A Surrey degree will normally last four years as the majority of our students have the opportunity to undertake a Professional Training placement. Tuition fees during this year are substantially reduced and you may be paid a salary by your placement provider or receive funding for an unpaid placement.
  • Study abroad
    If you decide to study abroad as part of your degree, you will be required to pay for travel, living costs, and potentially tuition fees. Currently, students looking to study abroad in Europe can apply for an Erasmus+ grant to assist with living and travel costs. For more information please see the Erasmus+ exchange page.

Postgraduate research costs

Completing (writing-up) fees

The definition of a ‘Completing research student’ is contained in the appropriate set of General Regulations for research degrees. In general terms, a ‘Completing research student’ is a postgraduate research student who has carried out the required minimum period of registration (for the purpose of being eligible to transfer to ‘Completing’ status), as prescribed in the appropriate regulations, to the satisfaction of their Principal Supervisor(s) and the Dean of Faculty and who is no longer deemed to be using the Faculty/departmental, computing or any other facilities e.g. laboratories (although the student may be allowed to make use of the University’s general facilities). Completing students are required to pay a Completing Fee for each year or part thereof (as determined by the University’s Fees Policy) until the thesis/portfolio is submitted. 

Completing Fees are payable per academic year with provision for a partial refund as appropriate. 

The standard Completing (writing up) Fee in the 2018/19 academic year is £620. 

This amount will be invoiced in full or proportionally, according to the expected end date available when raising the invoice, and will be reviewed at the point the Thesis Submission date is entered on the University database by the Faculty. 

Other costs (non-course specific)

As well as programme-specific costs, students should also be aware of general study costs, living costs and any other additional expenses they may incur whilst at university.

  • Books: A wealth of learning resources are available in our Library and Learning Centre. You may be required to, or prefer to, buy your own copy of key textbooks. If you return a book late you will have to pay a fine, and there are charges for losing books or replacing a campus card. See the Library FAQ for more information.
  • Printing and photocopying: Although coursework is most commonly submitted online, you may still find yourself in need of our printing, photocopying and binding facilities.
  • Computers and laptops: There are open-access networked computers available across campus and it is possible to loan laptops from the Library. However, you may find it useful to have your own PC, laptop or tablet.
  • Reassessment: Reassessment by retake does not incur an additional cost unless you are required to be reassessed in either repeat or replace mode. If you need to be reassessed in a module you may be subject to extra costs depending on the type of reassessment that is available to you.
  • Stationery: Students are required to supply their own stationery and study/writing materials.

As a university student you will need to budget for general living expenses, from food and toiletries through to travel and socialising. Read our budgeting information for useful advice and further information.

The University of Surrey has a Kids Unlimited Nursery on its Manor Park campus, available for use by students with children. See the students with children information for advice on childcare whilst studying at university.

If you would like to join a Students’ Union society or Team Surrey sports club, membership fees will apply. See the societies and Team Surrey information to find out more.

You may also need to pay relevant additional costs.

Students are able to join Surrey Sports Park and gain access to a huge range of facilities, classes and activities. University of Surrey students benefit from discounted membership of Surrey Sports Park.

There are associated costs for graduating from the University of Surrey. These include guest tickets to your graduation (your ticket is free), cap and gown hire, photography and merchandise, and replacement certificates and transcripts.


See the managing your money section for advice on living costs and budgeting, general money matters advice and information.