- Start date:
- To be confirmed
Our Russian (Beginners) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
From October 2022 to May 2023 classes will be taught in person. Classes are delivered over two terms and you can join at the beginning of each term. Please note that Term 2 is a continuation of Term 1. If you are a complete beginner, you should not join mid-way through the year, but instead wait and join in the autumn when the complete beginner courses start. To complete a full level, you need to attend the two consecutive terms.
To ensure that you enrol on the right course please check your language level with our tutors at one of our open evenings. Alternatively, you can email us to arrange a telephone consultation.
Please see our homepage for term times.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Introducing yourself
- Asking and answering basic questions
- Nationalities, languages, studies and jobs
- Numbers (1-10)
- Asking and giving directions
- Numbers (10-100)
- Months of the year
- Days of the week
- Recent events in the past
- Ordering food and drink
- Booking a hotel room
- Talking about yourself, daily routine and hobbies
- Telling the time
- Talking about theatre
- Talking about your house/flat
- Numbers (above 100)
- Regular verbs in present tense: знать, понимать (to know, to understand)
- Genitive case: от Москвы до Лондона далеко, билет Ивана (from Moscow to London is far)
- Possessives: мой-моя, ваш-ваша (my, yours)
- Imperatives: Скажите! Идите! (Tell me! Go!)
- Conjugation of regular verbs/present tense: он работает, она знает (he works, she knows)
- Past tense: он работал, она знала (he worked, she knew)
- Some irregular verbs in present tense: жить (to live)
- Preposition : в театре( in the theatre)
- Accusative: в театр , заказать водку (to the theatre, to order vodka)
- Verbs: спать, петь, пить, играть, нравиться, мочь (to sleep, to sing, to drink, to play, to like, to be able)
- Plural of nouns: сумка- сумки, телефон- телефоны (bag-bags, phone-phones)
- Dative: я хочу позвонить Ивану (I want to call to Ivan)
- Instrumental: чай с лимоном (tea with lemon)
Ruslan Russian 1 textbook and workbook, Jon Langran.
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Wednesday evenings, with 12 classes per term.
Approximately 18 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
Facilities and software
All evening language students have access to our Language Study Area, which is based in the Library and Learning Centre on campus and has lots of self-study resources for language-learning. Read the language study area access details (PDF) for more information.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|1||No prior knowledge is required.|
|2||You should have a very basic knowledge of Russian. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in Term 1 of our Russian (Beginners) course.|
Fees and funding
Fees are to be confirmed
How to apply
Please register your interest for details of our next course.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read the full disclaimer.
Course location and contact details
Campus locationStag Hill
Stag Hill is the University's main campus and where the majority of our courses are taught.
- Phone: +44 (0)1483 684047
University of Surrey
Surrey GU2 7XH