This class takes place on Wednesdays via Zoom
Attendance dates:October 2020: 14, 21, 28
November 2020: 04, 11, 18, 25
December 2020: 02
Time commitment: 12 hours
This class takes place on Wednesdays via Zoom
Attendance dates:January 2021: 13, 20, 27
February 2021: 03, 10, 17, 24
March 2021: 03
Time commitment: 12 hours
Our Russian (Beginners) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
Classes are delivered over three terms and you can join at the beginning of each term:
- Autumn term (October – December)
- Winter term (January – March)
- Spring term (April – June).
The winter and spring terms are a continuation of the autumn term. If you are a complete beginner, we recommend you join in the autumn. To complete a full level, you would normally attend all three consecutive terms.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Introducing yourself
- Asking and answering basic questions
- Nationalities, languages, studies and jobs
- Numbers (1-10)
- Asking and giving directions
- Regular verbs in present tense: знать, понимать (to know, to understand)
- Genitive case: от Москвы до Лондона далеко, билет Ивана (from Moscow to London is far)
- Possessives: мой-моя, ваш-ваша (my, yours)
- Imperatives: Скажите! Идите! (Tell me! Go!)
- Numbers (10-100)
- Months of the year
- Days of the week
- Recent events in the past
- Ordering food and drink
- Booking a hotel room
- Conjugation of regular verbs/present tense: он работает, она знает (he works, she knows)
- Past tense: он работал, она знала (he worked, she knew)
- Some irregular verbs in present tense: жить (to live)
- Preposition : в театре( in the theatre)
- Accusative: в театр , заказать водку (to the theatre, to order vodka)
- Talking about yourself, daily routine and hobbies
- Telling the time
- Talking about theatre
- Talking about your house/flat
- Numbers ((above 100)
- Verbs: спать, петь, пить, играть, нравиться, мочь (to sleep, to sing, to drink, to play, to like, to be able)
- Plural of nouns: сумка- сумки, телефон- телефоны (bag-bags, phone-phones)
- Dative: я хочу позвонить Ивану (I want to call to Ivan)
- Instrumental: чай с лимоном (tea with lemon)
Ruslan Russian 1 textbook and workbook, Jon Langran
|Autumn||1 - 3|
|Winter||4 - 7|
|Spring||8 - 10|
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Wednesday evenings, with eight classes per term.
Approximately 12 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
Facilities and software
You will get access to our library including our language study area, home to language software, satellite TV, a large foreign film collection and books, CDs and DVDs.
If you are one of the first 100 people that sign up to two terms of our evening language classes, you will receive a free code for uTalk, the language-learning app. With this, you will be able to access resources for a language of your choice. If you are eligible, you will receive a unique code from us by email.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|Autumn||No prior knowledge is required.|
|Winter||You should have a very basic knowledge of Russian. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn term of our Russian (Beginners) course.|
|Spring||You should have a very basic knowledge of Russian. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn and winter terms of our Russian (Beginners) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£150 for one termPublic
£150 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
£270 for two termsPublic (10% discount)
£255 for two termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (15% discount)
£382 for three termsPublic (15% discount)
£360 for three termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (20% discount)
Savings apply when you book multiple terms at the same time.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
- The course is open to adult learners over 18 years of age.
- Payment of fees in full is required before attending the course.
- Discounts are only applied if you book two or three terms for the same class in advance.
- Your email address will be our primary point of contact during your course and important information will be sent to the email address you provided on your booking form.
- Refunds cannot be given for classes you are not able to attend (e.g. due to illness or changes in your work or personal circumstances).
- The availability of classes is subject to demand. If a course has to be cancelled before the start of classes due to low numbers or circumstances beyond our control, you will receive an offer to an alternative course or a full refund.
- If a class has to be cancelled during the term due to unforeseen circumstances, we will endeavour to reschedule it (where possible). Please note, this might not be on the day or at the time of your usual class.
- If part of a course has to be cancelled you will receive a proportionate refund.
- There will be no refund if part of a course has to be cancelled for reasons outside our control (force majeure).
- Where access to the online delivery of services is not possible as a result of technical failure on your part or the parts of third-parties commissioned by you to provide access to our services, such as your internet service provider, computer equipment etc., we shall not be deemed liable for the loss of any access to our services.
You will have 14 days, starting with the day after your booking has been received, during which you may cancel and withdraw. You will receive a full refund of course fees paid. To do so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
All refund applications must be made 14 days before the start date of the course you booked.
If you book 14 days or less before the start of the course, no refund will be payable.
Outside of this cooling off period, the following applies:
If you enrol in the autumn term for one, two or three terms
Cancellations received by 30 August 2020 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
If you enrol in the winter term for one or two terms
Cancellations received by 29 November 2020 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
If you enrol for the spring term
Cancellations received by 7 March 2021 23:59 GMT by email are eligible for a refund but incur an admin fee of £29.50. Beyond this time limit no refunds will be granted.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.