12 October 2022
Attendance dates:October 2022: 12, 19, 26
November 2022: 02, 09, 16, 23, 30
December 2022: 07
January 2023: 11, 18, 25
Time commitment: 1hr 30 min per week
08 February 2023
Attendance dates:February 2023: 08, 15, 22
March 2023: 01, 08, 15, 22, 29
April 2023: 19, 26
May 2023: 03, 10
Time commitment: 1hr 30 min per week
Our Russian (Beginners) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
From October 2022 to May 2023 classes will be taught in person. Classes are delivered over two terms and you can join at the beginning of each term. Please note that Term 2 is a continuation of Term 1. If you are a complete beginner, you should not join mid-way through the year, but instead wait and join in the autumn when the complete beginner courses start. To complete a full level, you need to attend the two consecutive terms.
Please see our homepage for term times.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Introducing yourself
- Asking and answering basic questions
- Nationalities, languages, studies and jobs
- Numbers (1-10)
- Asking and giving directions
- Numbers (10-100)
- Months of the year
- Days of the week
- Recent events in the past
- Ordering food and drink
- Booking a hotel room
- Talking about yourself, daily routine and hobbies
- Telling the time
- Talking about theatre
- Talking about your house/flat
- Numbers (above 100)
- Regular verbs in present tense: знать, понимать (to know, to understand)
- Genitive case: от Москвы до Лондона далеко, билет Ивана (from Moscow to London is far)
- Possessives: мой-моя, ваш-ваша (my, yours)
- Imperatives: Скажите! Идите! (Tell me! Go!)
- Conjugation of regular verbs/present tense: он работает, она знает (he works, she knows)
- Past tense: он работал, она знала (he worked, she knew)
- Some irregular verbs in present tense: жить (to live)
- Preposition : в театре( in the theatre)
- Accusative: в театр , заказать водку (to the theatre, to order vodka)
- Verbs: спать, петь, пить, играть, нравиться, мочь (to sleep, to sing, to drink, to play, to like, to be able)
- Plural of nouns: сумка- сумки, телефон- телефоны (bag-bags, phone-phones)
- Dative: я хочу позвонить Ивану (I want to call to Ivan)
- Instrumental: чай с лимоном (tea with lemon)
Ruslan Russian 1 textbook and workbook, Jon Langran.
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Wednesday evenings, with 12 classes per term.
Maximum of 16 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|1||No prior knowledge is required.|
|2||You should have a very basic knowledge of Russian. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in Term 1 of our Russian (Beginners) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£225 for one termPublic
£180 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
For members of the public registered on Term 1 booking again for Term 2, discounts on fees (if any) will be applicable.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.