9-13 July 2018
This intensive 5 day course provides delegates with an introduction to the engineering aspects of satellite and mission design - with particular emphasis on the design of small low-cost satellites.
It will be assumed that delegates have a basic understanding of orbits and spacecraft dynamics.
Through a series of intensive lectures and exercises, the course aims to give an introduction to the design and construction of spacecraft, showing how the mission, and the space environment itself constrain the engineering.
Delegates should leave the course with a knowledge of:
- The Space Environment & its Effects;
- Spacecraft Platform Systems & Design;
- Satellite Manufacture & Testing
- Applications of Small, Low-Cost Satellites
- Space Mission Analysis & Design
By the end of the course, each delegate should have a good understanding of the way that satellites are designed and built. Because the course gives emphasis to the theoretical aspects of the subject, delegates will be able to apply their knowledge to a wide range of spacecraft design problems ranging from single payloads to whole spacecraft.
Please note that the University of Surrey reserves the right to change this.
DAY 1: SPACE MISSION DESIGN
DAY 2: MECHANICAL AND THERMAL DESIGN
DAY 3: SENSORS AND MECHANISMS, GUIDANCE AND CONTROL
DAY 4: POWER, COMMUNICATION AND DATA HANDLING SYSTEMS
DAY 5: SMALL SATELLITE DESIGN
Dr Craig Underwood, Deputy Director (Teaching) Surrey Space Centre, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
Recommended reading list
- Maral & Bousquet 'Satellite Communications Systems' (3rd Ed), Wiley ISBN 0-471-97166-9 : 1998
- Jerry Jon Sellers 'Understanding Space - An Introduction to Astronautics', McGraw Hill ISBN 0-07-057027-2 : 1994
- Fortesque & Stark (eds) 'Spacecraft Systems Engineering', John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0-471-93451-8 : 1992
- W.J. Larson (eds) 'Space Mission Analysis & Design'(2nd Ed), Kluwer Academic Publishers ISBN 0-7923-19982
For a brochure please contact the CE office on - firstname.lastname@example.org
Price per person, including lunch, refreshments and printed course notes:
- £1850 - Standard rate
- £1750 - Early bird rate for payment received by 9 June 2018
For IET Members (proof of membership needed)
- £1850 - Standard rate
- £1650 - Early bird rate for payment received by 9 June 2018
How to apply
To book, go to our online store. Please note that we do not charge VAT as we are an educational establishment. This makes the price of this course very competitive!
Proof of payment
Registrations must come with a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque.
Terms and conditions
- Delegates can make a provisional registration for a course by telephone or email. However bookings are only acknowledged formally once payment has been received
- In the event of cancellation and provided that written notice is received 10 working days prior to the event, a refund of 50% of the total fee will be made
- If cancellation is made within 10 working days of the start of the course no refund can be made
- If no notice of cancellation is received, no refund can be made
- Substitutions, from the same company, may be made following consultation with the Continuing Education Manager
- The University reserves the right to cancel any course on the grounds of insufficient numbers or for other reasons beyond our control. In this case the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged
- Registrations cannot be accepted without a valid Purchase order, credit card payment or cheque
Enquiries should be addressed to the CE Office, FEPS:
Tel: +44(0)1483 686040 or email email@example.com.