15-19 July 2019
This intensive five day course provides delegates with an introduction to the engineering aspects of satellite and mission design - with particular emphasis on the design of small low-cost satellites.
It will be assumed that delegates have a basic understanding of orbits and spacecraft dynamics.
Through a series of intensive lectures and exercises, the course aims to give an introduction to the design and construction of spacecraft, showing how the mission, and the space environment itself constrain the engineering.
Delegates should leave the course with a knowledge of:
- The space environment and its effects
- Spacecraft platform systems and design
- Satellite manufacture and testing
- Applications of small, low-cost satellites
- Space mission analysis and design.
By the end of the course, each delegate should have a good understanding of the way that satellites are designed and built. Because the course gives emphasis to the theoretical aspects of the subject, delegates will be able to apply their knowledge to a wide range of spacecraft design problems ranging from single payloads to whole spacecraft.
Please note that the University of Surrey reserves the right to change this.
DAY 1: SPACE MISSION DESIGN
DAY 2: MECHANICAL AND THERMAL DESIGN
DAY 3: SENSORS AND MECHANISMS, GUIDANCE AND CONTROL
DAY 4: POWER, COMMUNICATION AND DATA HANDLING SYSTEMS
DAY 5: SMALL SATELLITE DESIGN
Dr Craig Underwood, Deputy Director (Teaching) Surrey Space Centre, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
Recommended reading list
- Maral & Bousquet 'Satellite Communications Systems' (3rd Ed), Wiley ISBN 0-471-97166-9 : 1998
- Jerry Jon Sellers 'Understanding Space - An Introduction to Astronautics', McGraw Hill ISBN 0-07-057027-2 : 1994
- Fortesque & Stark (eds) 'Spacecraft Systems Engineering', John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0-471-93451-8 : 1992
- W.J. Larson (eds) 'Space Mission Analysis & Design'(2nd Ed), Kluwer Academic Publishers ISBN 0-7923-19982.
For a brochure please email Barbara Steel.
This is a week long course, from Monday 15 - Friday 19 July 2019.
Please note: Course notes will be available in electronic format (pdf) via dropbox and/or USB stick prior to the course start date.
Price per person, including lunch and refreshments:
Non IET members:
- £1900 - Standard rate
- £1750 - Early bird rate for payment received one month before the course start date.
For IET Members (proof of membership needed):
- £1900 - Standard rate
- £1650 - Early bird rate for payment received one month before the course start date.
How to apply
Payment can be accepted by purchase order, credit card or bank transfer on our online store, which will be available soon.
Please note that we do not charge VAT as we are an educational establishment.
Payments will be accepted subject to availability. If making payment by credit card, please forward the transaction receipt by email to Barbara Steel.
Terms and conditions
- Cancellations notified in writing ten working days before the event; we charge a cancellation fee of 35 per cent of the standard rate. If we have already received payment we refund 65 per cent of the full fee
- Cancellations within 10 working days before the event; We charge these at the full rate and do not give refunds
- If no written notice of cancellation is received, no refund can be made
- The University of Surrey reserves the right to cancel any event. In this case, the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged. Details of event changes or cancellations are available by phoning +44 (0)1483 686040
- Delegates can make a provisional registration for a course by telephone or email. However bookings are only acknowledged formally once payment has been received
- Substitutions from the same company may be made following consultation with the Continuing Education Manager
- The University reserves the right to cancel any course on the grounds of insufficient numbers or for other reasons beyond our control. In this case the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged
- Registrations cannot be accepted without a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque
- Proof of payment
- Registrations must come with a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque.
Enquiries should be addressed to Barbara Steel in the faculties Professional Development Office:
- Tel: +44 (0)1483 686040
- Email: email@example.com.