Equality, Diversity and Inclusion team
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion team are here to provide help and advice on these issues and work to embed equality and diversity into every aspect of University life.
We offer support and identify and encourage best practice within the context of current legislation. We aim to engage our University community with the issue of equality and diversity through meaningful debate, an open-minded approach and the provision of training and support.
What we do
We help to develop policies, training, initiatives and development programmes, many of which are undertaken with input from our equality working groups. Our main responsibilities and remit includes the following:
- Maintain open and fair staff recruitment and retention processes
- Provide learning support that is accessible to all
- Ensure no one at the University is discriminated against
- Shape an environment where all people are respected and treated fairly
- Create a culture that appreciates the benefits of diversity.
We provide professional advice, guidance and the tools to enable everyone working or studying at Surrey to take individual responsibility and help create an inclusive community.
"Equality is the springboard to opportunity. Diversity is the differentiator in making Surrey a destination of choice for our staff, students and visitors. Inclusion is making sure we leave no one behind."Angie Cousins, Head of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion