LGBTQIA+ equality in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Sexual orientation is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010, relating to a person's sexual orientation towards:
- Persons of the same sex
- Persons of the opposite sex
- Persons of either sex.
The University is committed to our LGBTQIA+ community
- We are part of the UK Workplace Equality Index scheme
- We have established an LGBTQIA+ network for our staff and students.
- We actively encourage our staff and students to set good examples and to take responsibility for ensuring work and study areas are free from unacceptable behaviour.
- We encourage staff to be open about their sexual orientation so we can gain a better understanding of our workforce.
- We run LGBTQIA+ awareness workshops.
- We have a Rainbow Allies Network.
- Every year we celebrate LGBT History Month with a comprehensive programme of events.