Top jobs with a mechanical engineering sciences degree
Find out what you could do with a degree in mechanical engineering sciences and discover some of the jobs Surrey’s graduates have recently secured in this field.
Mechanical engineers are responsible for the design, manufacture and optimisation of the advanced technology that enables applications such as engines, production lines, construction machinery and – increasingly as we face the future – robotics.
Our mechanical engineering sciences degrees are rooted in the real world of industry and the rapidly evolving needs of the engineering sector.
One of the advantages of our Mechanical Engineering and related programmes in Aerospace Engineering, Automotive Engineering and Medical Engineering is a common first year. This gives students the broad basis of mechanical engineering and ensures that they can communicate with engineers of different specialisations.
As well as giving them a thorough grounding in the subject, students also have opportunities to specialise in areas such as structures, materials, robotics and control and much more.
Often occupying key positions in senior management, mechanical engineers are sought after for their highly developed analytical, computing and managerial abilities.
My course, projects and Professional Training placement have given me the confidence, as well as engineering and business awareness, to successfully start a career. I understand now what it means to be an engineer - Alexander Patton, BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering
Careers with a mechanical engineering sciences degree
Our graduate employment record is truly outstanding due to the professional focus of our degrees, with accreditation by professional institutions (RAeS and IMechE), and the quality of our professional placements leading to high-quality graduate employment.
As well as enjoying an outstanding choice of routes to professional recognition in their own disciplines, our graduates also find that their highly developed computer skills and analytical and managerial abilities are valued in many other fields, in addition to those specifically related to aerospace engineering.
Mechanical engineering sciences graduate jobs
Most of our graduates proceed directly to employment in an engineering profession.
In recent years, our graduates have secured roles including:
In the field of aerospace engineering:
- Assistant Engineer, Royal Airforce (2015 graduate)
- Technical Sales Estimator, Harrods Aviation (2015 graduate)
- Graduate Mechanical and Thermal Propulsion Engineer, Airbus (2015 graduate)
- Graduate Engineer, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (2015 graduate)
My Professional Training Year at Airbus was far and away the best experience of my student life - Jack Ryan, MEng Aerospace Engineering, class of 2014
- Graduate Labour Architect, Ministry of Defence (2015 graduate)
- Pilot, Royal Air Force (2014 graduate)
- Engineering Graduate, British Airways (2014 graduate)
- Nuclear Engineering Graduate, Rolls-Royce PLC (2014 graduate)
- Combat Systems Engineer, BAE Systems (2014 graduate)
Other mechanical engineering careers our graduates have embarked on:
- Project Engineer, Tesla Engineering (2015 graduate)
- Transmission Modelling Specialist, McLaren Automotive (2015 graduate)
- Mechanical Testing Technician, Hexel (2015 graduate)
- Mechanical Engineer, Jaguar Landrover Company (2014 graduate)
- Graduate Engineer, Robert Bosch Ltd (2014 graduate)
- Applications Engineer, National Instrument (2014 graduate)