Cyber security economics
Funding will provide an annual tax-free stipend of approximately £16,000 and coverage of the home/EU tuition fees.
This project centres on designing and developing an Economics-of-Security-as-a-Service (EoSaaS) decision support framework, with an interactive, adaptive cyber security risk management tool deriving optimal strategies for organisations regarding cyber security investments and cyber insurance.
- Bachelors degree in computer science (UK equivalent of 2:1 classification or above)
- Keen Interest in research topics of the respective projects
- Programming experience (any language)
- Analytical and formal skills: knowledge of foundations of computer science (e.g., discrete mathematics and/or calculus) and of relevant mathematical background.
- Ability to think independently and self-learning capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, both in plain English and scientific language for publication in relevant journals and presentation at conferences.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Master’s degree (UK equivalent of Merit classification or above)
- Proficiency in C++, Python and/or Java, Haskell, Ocaml
- Flexible, able to work collaboratively
- A strong team player with good interpersonal skills able to build and sustain effective working relationships with the research group
- Self-motivated researcher, with a hands-on approach, willing to develop their technical and analytical skills and contribute to the overall aims of the research project in innovative ways
- Proven organisational skills for self and others
How to apply
Formal applications can be made through our PhD Computer Science course page.
The process requires the submission of:
- Your CV (preferably no longer than 2 pages)
- Copies of degree certificates and transcripts from all university-level courses taken/
- References - please provide names of 2 referees, ideally uploading 2 references at the time of application also.
In addition to the above, as part of your application, you are also required to upload the following documents:
- A cover letter, explaining your interests in computer science
- Relevant research experience (including examples of previous project work).