Professor Carol Lane
Academic and research departmentsAdvanced Technology Institute, Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
Clinical scientist specializing industrial liaison and translational medical research. Emphasis on engineering and physical sciences including PET, MRI, Pharmaceutical and medical device research and development. Utilizing advanced techniques to study biological markers associated with illness. University, Industry and hospital based research to develop treatments and diagnostics across multiple disease states. Management of research, development and operations linking universities with external partners. Teaching engineering students professional studies and large scale project and program managment. Training neuroimging to medical registrars and research methods to medical and post graduate students.
Areas of specialism
University roles and responsibilities
- Mapping research and operational activities between the faculties of engineering and physical sciences and the faculty of health and medical sciences
- Working with other clinician scientists to deliver patient centric diagnostic and therapeutic research
- Facilitating research between the clinical sites and the University of Surrey
- Working with NIHR, MRC, EPSRC and industrial partners in preclinical and clinical medical research integrating engineering and physical sciences
- Mapping ongoing preclinical and engineering research at the University of Surrey that translates through to NHS patient bedsides.
- Co-Supervisor PhD Quantum Biology Artificial Retinas and nanomaterials
Affiliations and memberships
In the media
- Research Managment and Industrial Liaison
- Research Due Diligence for Partnerships
- External and Internal Research Communications
- Faculty and Asset Mapping Exercise (FAME)
- Innovation for Health in the Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Research specializations
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Pharmaceutical R&D
- Medical Device R&D
Leverhulme PhD co-supervisor
A 3 1/2 year longitudinal study of the research assets at the University of Surrey which interface Engineering and Physical Sciences with Medical and Health products and solutions.
A study of the requirements and challenges of AI traffic control in a new city: King Abdulla Economic City (KAEC) Saudi Arabia
Product development and due diligence for partnerships of a 3D low dose x-ray device for mobile animal scanning
Postgraduate research supervision
PhD Quantum Biology Artificial Retina Leverhulme funded
Engineering and Physical Sciences University of Surrey UK
Multidisciplinary Design Project (ENGM001) https://catalogue.surrey.ac.uk/2020-1/module/ENGM001/SEMR1/1R
Engineering Professional Studies EEE 3035 https://catalogue.surrey.ac.uk/2019-0/module/EEE3035
Laboratories Design and Professional Studies EEE 1027/1028 https://catalogue.surrey.ac.uk/2019-0/module/EEE1027
The Pharmacological And Physical Therapies Of Parkinson’s Disease And Depression: ACochrane Review. In Process CJ Lane, A Sephry, Ah Young
Anticonvulsant Treatments Of Dysphoric Mania: A Trial Of Gabapentin, Lamotrigine And Carbamazepine In Iran. Neuropsychiatric Disease & Treatment.2008 Feb;4(1):227-34.Mokhber N, Lane Cj, Azarpazhooh Mr, Salari E, Fayazi R, Shakeri Mt, Young Ah
Adequacy Of Venlafaxine Dose Prescribing In Major Depression And Hospital Resources Implications. Journal Of Psychopharmacology.2008 Jun;22(4): 434-40. Vanoli A, Lane CJ, Harrison C, Steen Ni, Young Ah.
FDA and EMEA submissions and approvals including orphan, compassionate care and off label use of psychiatric, neurological, cardiac and gout compounds.