Research Excellence Framework 2014
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the UK’s system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions.
98% of Surrey research is world leading, internationally excellent and internationally recognised*
In the Times Higher Education Table of Excellence for REF2014, Surrey placed within the top 40 UK universities for our research power, with strong subject rankings for all three faculties, including Allied Heath, Physics, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism.
Almost all areas of research saw improved results in terms of Grade Point Average since the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008.
- English Language and Literature recognised for 100% world leading and internationally excellent research environment,
- 93% of research assessed in the Allied Health submission was considered of 4* or 3*quality, placing the University of Surrey in the top 10 UK universities for Allied Health professions
- Music, Media, Dance and Performing Arts achieved 100% world leading and internationally excellent impact
- Hospitality and Tourism Management was recognised as having 100% world leading and internationally excellent research impact, with 60% being considered world leading
- The Sociology department outputs received 77% world leading and international excellent ratings for their outputs, placing them 8th in the country for their subject-level output profile
View the full results for the University of Surrey on the REF 2014 website.
* 22% world leading (4*), 56% internationally excellent (3*) and 20% recognised internationally