In terms of undergraduate teaching performance metrics, the University of Surrey was awarded Gold in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) exercise.
What our students say
Read our student profiles to discover first-hand what it's like to study with us.
Professional Training placements
As an undergraduate student in the School of Psychology you have the option of spending your third year undertaking a Professional Training placement.
Professional Training placements offer students an invaluable opportunity to gain work experience and insight into a job role relevant to psychology graduates, and to refine a host of skills that employers look for, giving them an employable edge.
Opportunities exist throughout the UK and beyond and include hospitals and clinics, schools, social survey companies, personnel and occupational guidance services, industry and commerce.
Placement institutions and companies
Institutions and companies that have participated in the scheme include:
- Home Office
- Institute of Psychiatry
- BMG Records
- Metropolitan Police
- HMP Holloway
- Royal Marsden Hospital
- Guildford Pupil Referral Unit
- More House School
- National Centre for Young People with Epilepsy
- Action on Addiction
- CAMHS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services for Surrey
- SADAS - Southern Addictions Advisory Service
- North Carolina State University
- The Science Museum, London
- University of Kent
Types of placement
There is a range of placements that are suitable for psychology students including:
- Clinical psychology
- Educational psychology
- Occupational psychology
- Psychological research
- Social work
- Market research
Life as a psychology student
Find out what you can expect when you study psychology at Surrey.
We give our students the opportunity to acquire international experience during their degrees by taking advantage of our exchange agreements with overseas universities or by completing a Professional Training placement abroad.
Locations of our partner universities include:
- University of Salzburg
- Humboldt University
- Oldenburg University
- University of Turin
- University of Milano-Bicocca
- University of Berlin.
Graduates over the last few years entered employment roles such as:
- Assistant Clinical Psychologist, St George's NHS Trust
- Primary Wellbeing Practitioner, Broadmoor Hospital
- Trial Coordinator, King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Clinical Trust
- Assistant Psychologist, Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Rehabilitation Assistant, Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability
- Account Manager, Genesis Medical
- Recruitment Researcher, Walker Hamill
- Marketing Analyst, Masterclassing
- Junior Market Research Project Manager, Kantar Health
- Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, ThinkAction
- Graduate Leadership Scheme, Waitrose
- Assistant Crime Analyst, National Crime Agency.
Scholarships and bursaries
Discover how we may be able to support your studies with a host of bursaries and scholarships directly from the University of Surrey and external providers.