Subject-specific taster days
Our free subject-specific taster days allow sixth form and college students to experience a subject at undergraduate level.
Applications are currently closed.
Year 12 subject-specific taster days
These on campus events take place during school holidays and invite you to explore a subject in more detail and discover what it might be like to study at university in addition to the potential careers that it could lead on to. Participants will have the opportunity to hear from some of our prominent University of Surrey academics who will introduce their subject and research through an interactive timetable. Our inspirational student ambassadors will also be available to talk about their experience and what it's like to study at university.
These free and fully funded subject-specific taster days are a great way to sample different courses that you may be interested in studying at university. You will be provided with everything that you need for the day. The University of Surrey is also able to cover transport costs to ensure you are able to visit our campus in Guildford.
To be accepted onto the subject-specific taster days, you must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- You live in an IMD decile 1 or 2 postcode*
- You live in a POLAR4 quintile 1 postcode*
- You have received free school meals within the last six years
- You receive a 16-19 bursary
- You are a young carer - you care for a friend or family member who, due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, cannot cope without your support
- You are care experienced - you have spent time in local authority care, in a residential children’s home, have been looked after at home by a supervision order or have lived with relatives under kinship care.
- You are a forced migrant – you are a refugee or an asylum seeking young person
- You are from a Gypsy, Roma, Traveller, Showpeople or Boater community.
*Indices of multiple deprivation are commonly used datasets to classify the relative deprivation within smaller areas of the UK. POLAR4 classifies the progression rate of young people in higher education within local areas across the UK. We confirm eligibility by using the publicly available look up tools. However, if you would like to check your eligibility before applying, you can find the look up tools using the shared links above.
Upcoming taster days
We don’t currently have any upcoming events. Check back soon for further announcements.
I liked how interactive the sessions were, and how friendly both the staff and student ambassadors were.Psychology 2019 taster day student