Subject-specific taster days
Our free subject-specific taster days allow sixth form and college students to get to grips with a subject at undergraduate level. As well as academic sessions, there will be plenty of opportunities to engage with our friendly student ambassadors and academic staff to find out what studying here is really like.
2020 taster days
In 2020 we will be running the following Taster Days. Please check back in the New Year for more information and to apply.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- Health Sciences
Can I apply?
Places will only be allocated to students from currently under-represented groups in higher education who attend a state school or college. Any student that does not meet at least one of the criteria list below should not apply.
- Students from Low Participation Neighbourhoods (LPNs, defined as POLAR4 Quintiles 1 and 2 by OfS*
- Students from an area of high deprivation (Index of Multiple Deprivation, IMD) Quintiles 1 and 2**
- Students from a low-income family (eligible for Free School Meals in last six years)
- Care leavers and students in local authority care
- From families where parents/carers are in non-professional households (NS-SEC groups 4-8)
- Students classified as having a disability
- Young carers
- Refugees and asylum seekers
- Students estranged from their families
- Students who have a parent/carer who has served in the armed forces or reserves
- Students from BME backgrounds
- Students from Gypsy, Roma or Irish Traveller (GRT) communities
- Students who identify as a New Traveller, Boater, Bargee or Showperson
- White males from economically disadvantaged backgrounds (eligible for FSM, from NS-SEC 4-8 or live in POLAR4 Quintiles 1 or 2 or IMD Quintiles 1 and 2)
*You can check if a student lives in an LPN (POLAR4 Quintile 1 or 2 by using the OfS online Postcode Lookup Tool
** You can find more information about IMD by going to the IMD Postcode look up tool
What our students said
"My questions were answered well, and I got a great understanding of what the course is like."Computer science 2019 taster day student
"The translation session was really interesting and the placement year talk gave me a lot to think about."Languages 2019 taster day student
"I liked how interactive the sessions were, and how friendly both the staff and student ambassadors were."Psychology 2019 taster day student
"Very interesting – I have a much better understanding of studying law."Law 2019 taster day student