Nuclear Reactor and Health Physics
This course describes the international legislative framework of radiation protection. From international legislative framework of radiation protection, the course covers population and personal exposures to radiation, the principles of dose calculations, and example procedures for implementing radiation protection programmes. Nuclear reactor safety case work is also discussed.
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical analysis understanding of principles of radiation protection
- Perform simplified dose calculations from original data to show problem solving aspects of such work
- Understand case studies illustrating a holistic approach to radiation protection in a wide range of applications.
Content includes the following:
- Beta-delayed neutrons for control, moderators, nuclear power output calculation
- Concept of neutron flux and cross-section
- Differences between thermal reactors and fast reactors; the role of plutonium and higher isotopes
- Dose modelling
- Energy release in fission
- Neutron cycle in thermal reactors
- Neutron induced fission
- Nine breeder reactions
- Nuclear safety and the regulatory regime radiation protection and regulatory regime.
- Radioactive waste management and disposal.
- Radioisotope inventory of irradiated fuel, amounts produced, fissile and fertile materials
- Reactor control and operation, neutron lifetime and delayed neutrons
- Reactor physics
- Safety cases
- Shielding design and modelling
- The four and six factor formulae.
Learning and teaching methods
The learning and teaching methods include:
Paddy Regan joined the academic staff in the Physics Department at Surrey in 1994 after holding postdoctoral research positions in experimental nuclear structure physics at the University of Pennsylvania, USA and the Australian National University in...
There are no prerequisites required for this course.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
- Cancellations notified in writing ten working days before the event; we charge a cancellation fee of 35 per cent of the standard rate. If we have already received payment we refund 65 per cent of the full fee.
- Cancellations within 10 working days before the event; We charge these at the full rate and do not give refunds.
- If no written notice of cancellation is received, no refund can be made.
- The University of Surrey reserves the right to cancel any event. In this case, the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged. Details of event changes or cancellations are available by phoning +44 (0)1483 686040.
- Delegates can make a provisional registration for a course by telephone or email. However bookings are only acknowledged formally once payment has been received.
- Substitutions from the same company may be made following consultation with the Continuing Education Manager.
- The University reserves the right to cancel any course on the grounds of insufficient numbers or for other reasons beyond our control. In this case the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged.
- Registrations cannot be accepted without a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque.
- Proof of payment.
- Registrations must come with a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.