Welcome to the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
We are not only the largest Department within the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences, but also the largest at The University of Surrey, with 54 members of academic staff, 300 undergraduate students, 100 MSc students, and more than 250 Research (Graduate) Students.
Furthermore, we have an additional 110 research staff. We are proud to say that, as a Department, we are consistently ranked as among the best Electronic Engineering Departments within the UK. Arguably we are the very best, having extremely strong metrics in both elements of our core business, teaching and research. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), the department was ranked second in the UK within the Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials unit of assessment for the scale and impact of its research, with 93 per cent of our research rated as world leading or internationally excellent.
As well as the professional approach of the Department, we pride ourselves on providing a supportive and friendly environment for our students. In taught programmes, students at all levels have the support of a named personal tutor. In the early stages of an undergraduate degree we provide regular timetabled meetings between students and their personal tutor (e.g. weekly at Year 1 and biweekly at Year 2). At Year 3 and Year 4, meetings with tutors are organised as required. At PhD level we provide two academic supervisors, and a regular monitoring system to ensure progress and success.
We offer professionally accredited BEng, MEng, and MSc courses. Surrey is an academic partner of the IET entitling students to subsidised membership and a number of services offered to students. Our degrees develop the knowledge and professional skills of our students, for careers that lead the future development of electronics, communications and computing technologies.
National Student Survey 2017
The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering achieved a 92.9% overall satisfaction for NSS 2017.
- Ranked 4th in the UK for Electronic Engineering in the Guardian newspaper league table 2018
- Rated 7th in the UK for Electronic Engineering in the The Complete University Guide 2018
- Surrey is 9th in the Telegraph list of the best Universities in the UK for job prospects 2016.
- ATI - an interdisciplinary research institute investigating materials and devices for future electronics and photonics
- ICS (formerly CCSR) - the largest academic research group for communications in Europe
- CVSSP - one of the most highly renowned centres in Europe working on all aspects of image, video and audio processing research
- SSC - pioneers of cost-effective satellite engineering techniques to develop small satellites and associated scientific experiments/payloads.