What we are researching
- European foreign and security policy
- The role of the EU as an international actor
- European integration theories
- European equality policies and social policy
- Regionalism and area studies
- Area studies
- Environmental policy
- Opposition to the EU
Government and opposition
- Electoral behaviour, party politics and patronage
- Campaigns and elections
- Citizens’ impressions of parties and their leaders
- Social movements, opposition and resistance
- Populism and radicalisation
- Social media
- Social, political and gender theories
- Public opinion analysis
Security and conflict
- Human rights and humanitarianism
- Nuclear non-proliferation
- Security and defence
- Foreign policy analysis
- International intervention
- Foreign policy
- Post-conflict reconstruction and stabilisation
Find a course
Find out more about applying to Surrey.
Techne studentship 2023
Funding information:This competition funded studentship is available to UK and International students. Studentships are awarded on the basis of the academic excellence of both the candidate and the research proposal.Full UK or International fee waiver and stipend at UKRI rates (currently £16,062).
Politics PhD studentships 2023
Funding information:Studentships will cover, for three years or pro-rata part-time: full fees (at home or international rate), an annual stipend (c. £17,600), and a training grant for research and development expenses.
Our Doctoral College supports the academic and professional development of postgraduate researchers to ensure our world-leading research continues to grow. There is also an extensive Researcher Development Programme run at university level.
What our students say
Read our student profiles to discover first-hand what it's like to study with us.