We are a thriving space for research and public engagement on a range of political areas. We’re home to roughly a dozen researchers working across politics and international relations.
What we are researching
- European foreign and security policy
- The role of the EU as an international actor
- European integration theories
- European equality policies and social policy
- Regionalism and area studies
- Area studies
- Environmental policy
- Opposition to the EU
Government and opposition
- Electoral behaviour, party politics and patronage
- Campaigns and elections
- Citizens’ impressions of parties and their leaders
- Social movements, opposition and resistance
- Populism and radicalisation
- Social media
- Social, political and gender theories
- Public opinion analysis
Security and conflict
- Human rights and humanitarianism
- Nuclear non-proliferation
- Security and defence
- Foreign policy analysis
- International intervention
- Foreign policy
- Post-conflict reconstruction and stabilisation
Find a course
Find out more about applying to Surrey.
Our Doctoral College supports the academic and professional development of postgraduate researchers to ensure our world-leading research continues to grow. There is also an extensive Researcher Development Programme run at university level.
What our students say
Read our student profiles to discover first-hand what it's like to study with us.