Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Surrey delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) 84 per cent of our research was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent in the Physics category.
What we are researching
Exotic nuclei and nuclear astrophysics
- Nuclear reactions affecting the emission of cosmic gamma rays
- Direct measurements of radiative capture reactions
- Exotic nuclei for understanding nuclei synthesis in explosive binary systems
- Single particle transfer reactions around the Islands of Inversion
- Exploring exotic nuclear shapes and shape coexistence.
Shape and shell evolution in heavy nuclei
- Nuclear structure around the doubly closed shell nucleus 208Pb
- The limits and theory of K-isomerism
- Shape evolution in the vicinity of the doubly mid shell nucleus 270Dy
- Industrial applications of nuclear structure studies.
You have the opportunity to acquire international experience as part of your undergraduates and masters studies, by taking advantage of exchange agreements with our partner universities.
Locations of our partner universities include Australia, Germany, Canada, United States and Singapore.
Professional Training and research placements
Our undergraduate physics courses offer a fully integrated Professional Training or research placement, which provides our students with an excellent foundation for both employment and further study.
For those interested in a career in research, our MPhys courses offer a full research year that is often spent abroad, whilst our BSc courses offer a Professional Training placement which involves students directly applying their physics to the work, by using coding, maths etc.
Recognised as the Best University Placement Service (Over 500 Placements) for the second year in a row at the National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) Awards 2020; we will support you with your application and ensure you are gaining the experience you need in a supportive environment.
Our students spend their year at a very wide range of employers.
- Airbus Defence and Space
- BAE Systems
- Central Laser Facility (CLF) at the Rutherford Lab - Vulcan Lasers
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- IBM UK Ltd
- InSync Technologies Ltd
- MBDA UK Ltd
- National Physical Laboratory
- Regional Radiation Protection Service
- Tesla Engineering Ltd
- Toptica Photonics.
What we have to offer
We have a suite of heavily shielded gamma-ray (hyper pure germanium) detectors and access to facilities around the world. We also offer employability and careers support to help get you ready for life after university.
There is an extensive Researcher Development Programme run at university level and we are part of the SEPnet Graduate School.