Undergraduate student finance

Find out about the Government's student finance support.

Student loans

The two main costs you will face as an undergraduate student are tuition fees and living costs. If you live in England are entering higher education at undergraduate level, student loans are available from the Student Finance England for both of these costs. They work like this: 

  • The Government loans you the money to pay your tuition fees and living costs
  • You pay the Government back, in instalments, after you graduate
  • Your repayments are in proportion to your income
  • You only start repaying when you earn over a certain amount
  • Repayment rates are decided in advance, so there shouldn’t be any unexpected changes.

If you have previously studied a higher education course, you may not be eligible for either a tuition or maintenance loan. It is important to check this before you start studying.

It’s important to apply as soon as possible, to ensure your funding is in place for the start of the academic year. 

Student living in other parts of the UK should take a look at the following websites for more information:

View the Student Finance Explained video

EU students: If you’re starting a course at an English university or further education institution on or after 1 August 2021, you must have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to get student finance.

If you’re coming to the UK from 1 January 2021, you may need to apply for a visa to study here.

Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Tuition Fee Loan

A full time Tuition Fee Loan is funding to help with the costs of tuition fees charged by the university. It’s paid directly to the University.

This loan is only available to full-time new and continuing students studying an eligible:

  • undergraduate course
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

Find out more on the student finance website.

Maintenance Loan

A Maintenance Loan, sometimes called a 'living cost loan', is funding to help with day-to-day costs while studying. It’s paid directly to the student. Find out more about the cost of living at university.

This loan is only available to new and continuing full-time students studying an eligible:

  • Undergraduate course
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

The maintenance loan you receive is dependent on your household income and it is important to plan financially for your studies based on what you receive. Get an estimate of the loan you would receive.

Visit the student finance website.

Additional support

You may be eligible for additional support from Student Finance England if: 

  • You are a single parent
  • Your partner is also a student
  • You have certain disabilities 

For full details and qualifying criteria, see the student finance website.