A week in the life of a hospitality and tourism student
From field trips to group assignments, discover what a typical week looks like for first-year hospitality and tourism students at Surrey.
The following timetable is a general example - for the latest module information, visit the Hospitality, Events, Tourism and Transport subject page and select your degree programme.
- 12pm to 2pm – Essential reading for this week’s seminars
- 3pm to 4pm – Developing Professionals lecture
- 4pm to 6pm – Meet with course mates to work on group assignment in the Library.
- 10am to 11am – Understanding Service Delivery lecture
- 1pm to 3pm – Lunch and coffee on campus
- 3pm to 4pm – Business Impacts lecture.
- 10am to 11am – Business Environment lecture
- 12pm to 2pm – Meet with course mates to work on group assignment in the library
- 2pm – Home for lunch.
- 2pm – Home for lunch
- 9am to 10am – Business Environment lecture
- 11am to 12pm – Business Impacts seminar, discussing current group work plans
- 3pm to 4pm – Business Impacts lecture
- 4pm to 5pm – Write planned essay notes for group work.
- 9am to 10am – Check Surrey Learn for updates, additional reading, lecture notes and assignment information
- 10am to 12pm – Head to the library for group work, review each other's work
- 12pm to 2pm – Developing Professionals workshop.
Work hard, play hard
Outside of lectures and library sessions, there are lots to do during your free time at Surrey.
The Students’ Union lies at the heart of campus life. With over 100 sports clubs and societies on offer, it’s bursting with opportunities for you to discover new interests, have fun and make friends. The Union nightclub, Rubix, is a popular choice for nights out, and our beautiful lakeside campus has plenty of places to get a coffee, drink or bite to eat.
Ten minutes to town
The campus is also a short ten-minute walk from Guildford town centre, home to over 70 pubs, bars and restaurants. From ice skating at Guildford Spectrum to watching a film at the Odeon, Guildford has plenty to offer when you’re looking for a well-earned break from your studies.
From London to the coast, discover some of the places our students like to visit during their free time at University.
Learn more about our hospitality and tourism degrees and read what our students have to say about life at Surrey.