Academic and research departmentsSchool of Health Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences.
I qualified as a Registered Children's Nurse in 2002 and have worked in a variety of roles in the UK including at Birmingham Children's Hospital and Great Ormond Street.
My background is Paediatric Respiratory care, working as Paediatric Respiratory Nurse Specialist. This autonomous role involved caring for children with a range of chronic respiratory conditions including Cystic Fibrosis, complex Asthma and Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia. In this role I was involved in developing a regional Clinical Pathway for management of Acute Asthma. Practice education and mentoring are principles that have spanned my career, teaching both colleagues and student nurses as well as families and patients. Before moving into academia I held a role as a Practice Education Nurse focusing on education and training for staff of all levels.
I completed a PgCert in Transforming Professional Practice through Education in 2017 and have been awarded status of Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Areas of specialism
University roles and responsibilities
- I teach across a range of modules on the Preparation for Professional Practice programmes spanning the three years. I am module convener for Meeting the Needs of the Unwell Child (NUR2113)
- I am Cohort Lead for the 2019 Child Field Nursing cohort and am a Personal Tutor for students across the programme years, providing pastoral care..
- I am Practice Liaison Teacher for Locality 2 and Locality 8 (child) and work closely with practice partners in developing simulation opportunities in my role as Simulation Lead for the Child Field.
- I am a member of the Maternal and Child Health Research Cluster and am part of the Events Committee for this.
- I work as part of the Recruitment team to organise Undergraduate Interviews.