Find out more about the people working in sustainability research.
Professor Richard Murphy - Professor of Life Cycle Assessment, Director of the Centre for Environment and Sustainability (CES).
Richard joined CES in 2013. He has a background in biological sciences with a BSc in Botany with Zoology from King’s College London and a PhD in Pure and Applied Biology from Imperial College London. Richard has undertaken postdoctoral work in New Zealand and the Netherlands and, prior to joining CES, was a Reader in Plant Sciences at Imperial College London.
Richard is a past president of the Institute of Wood Science (now part of the Institute of Materials) and is a member of DEFRA’s Hazardous Substances Advisory Committee, BRE’s Advisory Panel and BSI committees. He is a founder and director of LCAworks Ltd and was Chief Scientific Officer of Mycologix Ltd. He advises the UK Climate Change Committee on LCA for bioenergy systems.
Key groups, centres and departments
- 5G/6G Innovation Centre
- Advanced Technology Institute
- Centre for Engineering Materials
- Centre for Environment and Sustainability
- School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Energy and Materials
- Environmental Flow (ENFLO) Research Centre
- Geomechanics Research Group
- Global Centre for Clean Air Research
- Mathematics of Life and Social Sciences Group.