Our Chinese (Intermediate) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
From October 2021 to June 2022 classes will be taught online via Zoom.
Classes are delivered over three terms and you can join at the beginning of each term:
- Autumn term (October – December)
- Winter term (January – March)
- Spring term (April – June).
The winter and spring terms are a continuation of the autumn term. Please note that If you are a complete beginner, you should not join mid-way through the year, but instead wait and join in the autumn term when the complete beginner courses start. To complete a full level, you need to attend all three consecutive terms.
Nevertheless, you can join the class at the beginning of any term. To ensure that you enrol on the right course if joining us in January or April, please check your language level with our tutors at one of our open evenings.
The tutor spends a lot of time piecing together course material for us which we all really appreciate. She doesn’t just talk about language but makes us engage in the culture as well which is so important to our overall understanding.Rosemary Bromfield-Young, Mandarin (Intermediate)
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Talking about location of something or someone
- Give directions on how to find a place, person or thing
- Talking about position of something or someone
- Talking about currency
- How to ask about price
- How to bargain in Chinese
- Location words: 左、右、前、后、旁边、对面、中间… (left, right, front, back, next, opposite…)
- Money units: 元、角、分、块、毛 (yuan, jiao, fen, kuai, mao…)
- Units of weight: 斤 (jin)
- Units of measurement: 本、张、只、盘、瓶…
- How to tell and ask time
- Shop and service opening and closing times
- Length of journey
- Giving detailed directions
- At the doctor
- Time phrases: 点、刻、分、秒、差… (hour, quarter, minute, second, to…)
- Modal verbs: 要、应该、可以… (need, shall/should, may … )
- Sentence patterns: …几点 … ; … 什么时候 … (What time … ?); … 怎么走？ (How to get to…?)
- Talking about the exchange rate
- Change of state or condition
- Exchange rates and currency exchange
- Public transport
- Express the duration of an accomplished action
- Currency: 美元、日元、英镑、人民币 … (dollar, Japanese yuen, pound, RMB…)
- Time phrases for past, present and future: 前天、昨天、今天、明天、后天 … (the day before yesterday, yesterday, today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow…)
- Negations: 不、没
Chinese in Steps Student Book Vol. 2 (2nd edition), George X Zhang, Linda M Li and Lik Suen, ISBN: 978-1845700041.
|Autumn||11 and 12|
|Winter||13 and 14|
|Spring||15 and 16|
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Thursday evenings, with eight classes per term.
Approximately 12 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|Autumn||You should have a good knowledge of Chinese or studied Chinese at or above GCSE level (or equivalent). You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn, winter and spring terms of our Chinese (Pre-Intermediate) course.|
|Winter||You should have a good knowledge of Chinese or studied Chinese at or above GCSE level (or equivalent). You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn term of our Chinese (Intermediate) course.|
|Spring||You should have a good knowledge of Chinese or studied Chinese at or above GCSE level (or equivalent). You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn and winter terms of our Chinese (Intermediate) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£150 for one termPublic
£150 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
£270 for two termsPublic (10% discount)
£255 for two termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (15% discount)
£382 for three termsPublic (15% discount)
£360 for three termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (20% discount)
Savings apply when you book multiple terms at the same time.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
- This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.