- Start date:
- 06 February 2024
- Attendance dates:
06, 13, 20, 27 February 2024
05, 12, 19, 28 March 2024
16, 23, 30 April 2024
07 May 2024
- Time commitment:
- 1hr 30min per week. Classes run from 7-8:30pm on Tuesdays.
Our French (Intermediate) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
Classes are delivered over two terms and you can join at the beginning of each term. Please note that Term 2 is a continuation of Term 1. To complete a full level, you need to attend the two consecutive terms.
To ensure that you enrol on the right course please check your language level with our tutors at one of our open evenings, alternatively you can also email us to arrange a telephone consultation. Please see our homepage for our term times.
Dominique is a very enthusiastic tutor, who listens and is happy to answer any questions and uses her own experiences, as a native French person to enhance the learning experience.Lorna Westwood, French (Intermediate)
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Public and private life
- Justifying a choice
- fairy tale vs play
- Interviews and personality
- Past experiences
- Reflecting on job interviews and linguistic experiences
- Ideal/imaginary trip
- Theatre in France
- Characters and staging
- Discussing hopes and plans
- Lost opportunities and regrets
- Stage directions
- Intonations and irony
- Political life in France
- Ideological debates about de-growth
- Different types of correspondence: letters, postcards and emails
- Forms of address and forms of taking one’s leave
- Expressing obligation, possibility and prohibition
- Famous calls to action to French and Belgian population
- The French speaking cinema
- Posters and critiques
- Characters of a movie
- Basic structure of a story
- Expressing our opinion
- Revision of past tenses
- Past participle (été, eu)
- Perfect tense (j’ai vu, elle est partie)
- Imperfect (j’habitais)
- Pluperfect (j’avais habité)
- Agreement of the past participle (avoir, être)
- Direct object pronoun (le pronom COD, me, te, le)
- Expressing the cause (markers of cause, parce que, comme, puisque)
- Expressing a wish, a probability (if + imperfect-conditional)
- Formation of present conditional
- Expressing a hypothesis
- Situating in the space by the use of prepositions (à, en, au, à l’intérieur, à proximité etc.)
- Formation of past conditional
- Adverbs in –ment
- Adjectives used as an adverb
- Expressing future with espérer que + simple future
- Verbs of opinion (je pense que, je trouve que...)
- Present subjonctive (Je souhaite vraiment que vous teniez compte de...)
- Formation and mood of feeling verbs (Je me réjouis de)
- Impersonal verbs (Il faut…, Il est interdit)
- Gerund (en marchant)
- Present participle (ayant)
- Direct/indirect pronouns in a sentence (Tu me le donnes? Je le leur ai déjà dit)
- Relative pronouns (ce que, ce qui, ce dont)
- Participle preposition (L’actrice jouant le rôle de mère ne m’a pas convaincu)
Entre Nous B1 ISBN 9788416273249
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Tuesday evenings, with 12 classes per term.
Approximately 16 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|1||You should have a good knowledge of French. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in our French (Pre-Intermediate) course.|
|2||You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in Term 1 of our French (Intermediate) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£225 for one termPublic
£180 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
For members of the public registered on Term 1 booking again for Term 2, discounts on fees (if any) will be applicable.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read the full disclaimer.