Introduction to MAXQDA for qualitative and mixed-methods analysis
MAXQDA is a powerful software for the qualitative and mixed-methods analysis of text, audio, video, survey and social media data.
This one day workshop provides a comprehensive overview of MAXQDA and an opportunity for participants to practice tasks using sample data. The focus is on gaining confidence in setting up a project efficiently, managing and organising data, exploring and conceptualising data and interrogating and visualising data.
The course combines discussion, demonstration and hands-on work, including:
- Contextual discussions – developmental, methodological and analytical principles
- Software Overview –interface, architecture, tools
- Analytic Planning – ensuring analytic strategies drive the appropriate use of software tools
- Guided Instruction – step-by-step teaching in the operation of MAXQDA and the use of tools for analytic tasks.
Please note: this is MAXQDA 2022 course. Participants using version 2020 are welcome to attend but the main part of the course will cover the functions available for MAXQDA version 2022. The software is the same on Mac and Windows platform.
What you will need to attend
This course is delivered online using Zoom. In order to attend you will need a computer (Mac or Windows) that has access to the internet, and a microphone (inbuilt or external). We encourage participants to share their image using a webcam to foster dialogue and interaction, but this is not a requirement.
You will also need MAXQDA installed and working on your computer ahead of the session to get the most out of the workshop. If you do not currently have access to the software, details on how to access a 30 day free trial can be found on the MAXQDA website.
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the structure of MAXQDA and how it can be used throughout a research project.
- Navigate around the software and operate it to undertake analysis.
- Understand the importance of analytic planning in harnessing MAXQDA tools powerfully.
- Set up a MAXQA project to reflect initial research design and change structures as a research project progresses.
- Identify MAXQDA tools that can be used to fulfil specific analytic tasks.
- Know where to access relevant resources to support continued MAXQDA use.
- Principles of using MAXQDA
- Data preparation, import and organisation
- Data exploration and familiarisation
- Coding strategies – including appropriate uses of auto-coding
- Use of writing and visualisation tools to reflect on data and processes
- Querying and outputting.
Learning and teaching methods
- Guided hands-on exercises
- Independent hands-on work.
Participants are requested to read the MAXQDA review (PDF) before attending this course.
This course assumes participants have a broad understanding of qualitative and/or mixed methods methodologies, but assumes no prior knowledge about MAXQDA.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£155Education and charitable sector applicants
£220Government and commercial sector applicants
What these fees include
Handouts, slides, links to further resources.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
Further details of our terms and conditions will follow.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read the full disclaimer.