Our Spanish (Intermediate) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
From October 2021 to June 2022 classes will be taught online via Zoom.
Classes are delivered over three terms and you can join at the beginning of each term:
- Autumn term (October – December)
- Winter term (January – March)
- Spring term (April – June).
The winter and spring terms are a continuation of the autumn term. Please note that If you are a complete beginner, you should not join mid-way through the year, but instead wait and join in the autumn term when the complete beginner courses start. To complete a full level, you need to attend all three consecutive terms.
Nevertheless, you can join the class at the beginning of any term. To ensure that you enrol on the right course if joining us in January or April, please check your language level with our tutors at one of our open evenings.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Main events in a person's life
- Problems in the world
- Preterit and present perfect
- Verbal periphrases
- Conditional clauses
- Future tense
- Time expressions used with the future tense.
- Studying Spanish
- Varieties of Spanish
- Spain and Latin America
- Personal relationships.
- Comparison of past tenses: hablé, he hablado, hablaba
- Simple future: hablaré, hablarás
- Interrogatives qué, cuál, cuáles
- Pluperfect: había hablado
- Quantifiers: algo, nada, alguien, nadie.
- Social customs
- Talking about habits
- Expressing that something is obligatory
- Narrative genres: cinema, television, novels.
- Present tense
- Soler + Infinitive
- Connective expressions to narrate a story
- Form and use of direct and indirect object pronouns.
- Social events
- Personal relationships: feelings
- Sports and hobbies
- Subjunctive present tense: espero que hable español
- Future simple: la semana que viene estaré en Roma
- Affirmative and negative imperative: habla español, no hables francés
- Conditional: hablaría.
- Household tasks
- Politics and Society
- Form and use of affirmative and negative imperative
- Reflexive, direct and indirect object pronouns with the imperative
- Present subjunctive
- Urban life
- Events and stories
- The future
- Impersonal expressions: la gente habla, Se habla
- Hypothesis with indicative and subjunctive: es posible que, no es seguro que, quizás, posiblemente, creo que
- Imperfect+ gerundio: estaba hablando.
Ele Actual: Libro del alumno + CDs B1, Virgilio Borobio, ISBN: 978-8467548976.
|Autumn||1 - 4|
|Winter||5 - 8|
|Spring||9 - 12|
We do not recommend you buy the course book before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course book or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course book to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Monday evenings, with eight classes per term.
Approximately 12 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
Facilities and software
All evening language students have access to our Language Study Area, which is based in the Library and Learning Centre on campus and has lots of self-study resources for language-learning. Access details to be confirmed.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|Autumn||You should have a good knowledge of Spanish. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn, winter and spring terms of our Spanish (Pre-Intermediate) course.|
|Winter||You should have a good knowledge of Spanish. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn term of our Spanish (Intermediate) course.|
|Spring||You should have a good knowledge of Spanish. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn and winter terms of our Spanish (Intermediate) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£150 for one termPublic
£150 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
£270 for two termsPublic (10% discount)
£255 for two termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (15% discount)
£382 for three termsPublic (15% discount)
£360 for three termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (20% discount)
Savings apply when you book multiple terms at the same time.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
- This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.