The Doctoral College looks to continue to connect with and support former postgraduate and early career researchers through the Doctoral College alumni community. Joining our vibrant community will enable you to share professional experiences, build relationships and keep in touch with the University and Doctoral College as you develop and continue in your career.
Benefits of your membership
- Join the exclusive UoS Doctoral College Alumni Group on LinkedIn
- Free access to workshops, events and career coaching (for up to three years after leaving)
- Continue to be part of the Surrey research community including the Surrey Arts and Humanities Research Group
- An opportunity to expand your network and share your expertise and the chance to give back through:
- Being a guest speaker at one of our employer or alumni events
- Sharing your career story
- Writing a blog post and sharing top tips.
- In addition, postgraduate research alumni will also have access to the standard alumni benefits.
There many ways to stay involved with the University after you leave.
Including sessions on:
- 23 things for research (online programme)
- Presentation skills
- Preparing for a post-doc
- Getting published
- Career Planning
- CV writing, preparing for interviews.
For further details on these events, browse our full list of Researcher Development Programme workshops for:
To register for any of the workshops, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Doctoral College Alumni RDP workshop'.
The Researcher Development Programme runs an employer mentoring scheme that offers all researchers the opportunity to have a mentor outside of academia. The mentoring relationship could be short or long term; it could focus on a particular issue or cover a range of issues and can take place by email, phone, Skype or face to face.
Typically, mentors and mentees meet at an agreed time (and place) to discuss issues, set out actions, make plans and review progress.
The aim is to provide mentoring for researchers in a sustainable way for mentors, who are already juggling busy work roles and other commitments.
We are also beginning to host events where alumni come in to talk about their career experiences to current post graduate and early career researchers. This provides you with an opportunity to reconnect with the University and an invaluable opportunity for our students to find out about possible future career areas and paths as well as the all- important opportunity to build networks.
We are also looking to host more employer events to enable our current community to gain greater insights into the opportunities available to them – whether you are working in industry, the third sector, academia or in business start- up it would be great if you would consider speaking at one of our events. Going forward we will also be looking to make greater use of Skye and Zoom so don’t let geography be a barrier!
The Surrey Researcher’s blog supports researchers across the University with a variety of segment pieces and one-off articles. Researchers have shared their experiences in publishing, researching remotely, live tweeting conferences and building their personal brand. We would love to have alumni included in this experience exchange and are open to any topics you may want to share. Ideas could include: transitioning from research to industry (or vice versa), perspective pieces on current research affairs, communication pieces about your own research.
Advice from you is valued by our current researchers because it comes from people who have been through the experience. Whether you have top tips for new researchers, for getting to the end or anything about your experience in Surrey, we would also love to hear from you.
How to register your interest
If you are interested in volunteering, please either:
- Postgraduate researcher alumni: complete the alumni volunteering registration form and tick the 'Volunteer to support the Doctoral College Researcher Development Programme' option.
- Early career researcher alumni: email email@example.com with the subject line 'ECR alumni volunteering'.
We will then be in touch.