Students and graduates are entitled to a maximum of one appointment (either a Guidance/Mock interview or a Quick Query appointment) per working week unless there are extenuating circumstances.
To book one of the following options, speak to our staff at the Information Desk or call us on 01483 689001
Before you see a careers adviser
There are several steps you will need to take to both get started and to improve your CV.
- Read our careers information leaflets on Preparing for a Guidance Interview, Writing Effective CVs and Covering Letters and/or Application Forms
- Attend Employability & Career Centre events on Applications and CVs. These are led by both employers and careers advisers. Check our “Calendar of Careers Events” in the What's On section of the Employability & Career Centre website
- View the “Online Application Forms” and other videos at the Employability & Careers Centre online video library
Quick query appointments of 15 minutes
Quick Query' sessions are ideal for having your CV, covering letter or application form checked (generally one document given the limited time available) or for a short discussion with one of our advisers during a 15 minute one-to-one session. If you have further questions or more to discuss, you can always book a longer appointment with an adviser.
Available every day Employability & Careers Centre is open. During term time sessions are Monday – Friday between 14.00 and 16.00. In vacation periods Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 14.00 and 15.00. Call into Employability & Careers Centre from 13.30 onwards on the afternoon you would like your 15 minute session. For more information on how to prepare for a guidance interview please see our information sheet.
Guidance interviews of up to 50 minutes
A Guidance Interview allows in depth discussion of your career plans Guidance Interviews must be booked in advance. Appointments are face-to-face with an adviser however telephone appointments can be booked if the student is not on the campus. For more information on how to prepare for a guidance interview please see our information sheet.
Mock interview practice 30 -50 minutes
Practice your interview skills, practice answers to typical interview questions and receive constructive feedback.
Thinking of changing or leaving your course
If you are wondering whether the course you are taking is right for you, it may help you to have a chat with a Careers Adviser. They would help you analyse your situation from an objective viewpoint, consider the options which might be open and help you with your decision. Changing or Leaving Your Course section on TARGETjobs and Leaving your course section on Prospects both offer additional advice.
Advice and guidance for our alumni
Individual advice and guidance is restricted to current students and recent graduates (up to three years after leaving the University) as our expertise tends to be focused on the initial move into the job market. All alumni of the University are free to use any other service we offer including:
• Employer presentations
• Skills sessions
• Autumn and Summer Careers Fairs
• Online information and resources
• Access, via prior registration, to the Vacancy Database
• Access to reference material from our physical library