9:30am - 4pm
Tuesday 25 June 2019
Year 12 chemical engineering taster day
From more efficient detergents and faster computers, to more cost-effective drugs and more efficient road and air travel. Chemical engineers make a tangible difference across a diverse range of industries.
On a Chemical Engineering taster day, you will explore this further within our excellent facilities, including our new Fluor pilot plant. This operational chemical process plant demonstrates all of the main functions of an industrial plant and gives students access to the state-of-the-art equipment used in industry.
The day will give you further insight into studying a Chemical Engineering degree as well as an understanding of the industry in general.
As well as participating in academic activities, you’ll get to know our friendly student ambassadors who will take you on a tour of the University of Surrey campus and answer your questions on chemical engineering, studying at Surrey and student life.
- This event is open to Year 12 students only (on an individual basis).
- The deadline for applications is 9 June 2019, however, applications may close earlier depending on demand.
- Please note that taster days and dates are subject to change.
About the taster day
On a taster day you'll experience the excellent teaching and facilities available at the University of Surrey while exploring what it is like to study BEng/MEng Chemical Engineering.
As well as academic sessions, there will be plenty of opportunities to engage with our friendly student ambassadors and academic staff to find out what studying here is really like.
Students should be studying both chemistry and maths at A-level or equivalent.
- A-Levels - you should be working between BBC - ABB level and may be required to be taking a particular subject at A-level.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) - if you are studying IB, you should be working at around an overall score of 32 and may be required to be taking a particular subject.
- BTEC - we can accept BTEC qualifications. Depending on the course, these may need to be studied alongside a combination of A-Levels.
If you have any questions about your qualifications and whether they meet taster day requirements, or if you are studying alternative qualifications please don't hesitate to contact us.
Lunch is provided on every taster day and we endeavour to cater for students with a variety of dietary requirements. We will ask you for more information about any specific requirements you have prior to the taster day.
You may need to take a day off school/college to attend a taster day. Usually, sixth form and college students have up to five days that they are able to take off to attend things like taster days, residential programmes and open days. Your teacher will be able to tell you the policy at your school. We are happy to confirm your attendance with your teacher after the taster day – they’ll just need to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For full course details visit our BEng (Hons) or MEng in Chemical Engineering course page.
Please feel free to contact us:
- +44 (0)1483 688924
For further information on taster days, residential masterclasses and other activities, visit the Post-16 pages on the Schools and Colleges website.