FASS celebrates International Women's Day 2020
To celebrate this year’s International Women’s Day, the Schools and Departments within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences would like to share some of the fantastic events they have on offer.
School of Literature and Languages
Date: Thursday 5 March 2020
Location: Waterstones, 50-54 High St, Guildford, GU1 3ES
Join author Angela Chadwick for a reading and discussion of her award-winning novel, XX.
For further event details, please visit the event page.
Surrey Business School
Date: Thursday 5 March 2020
Location: Lakeside Restaurant, University of Surrey
Surrey Business School is delighted to announce its event entitled Creating your own stories: Lessons from inspirational women. The audience will hear from five different women who are all on unique career paths and from completely different backgrounds but want to share their personal experiences to inspire others.
- Jan Sawkins, Director, Clare House Limited and Member of Council, University of Surrey
- Helen Griffiths, Professor of Biomedical Sciences and Executive Dean, University of Surrey
- Margaret Sherer, Founder and CEO, Cittadina Marketing
- Fiona Macaulay, Global Senior Director IT Delivery, Mars
- Sam Farrow, Creative and Managing Director, Farrow Creative Limited.
The limited availability evening will provide an exciting opportunity to listen to their stories, ask questions and network with them at the drinks reception that will follow.
Hosted by Donna Shanks and Selina Butler, the panel discussion will begin with introductions at 6:00pm, followed by a Q&A session and a drinks and canapes reception until 8:30pm
Please visit the event page to register and we look forward to seeing you there!
Guildford School of Acting
Date: Friday 6 March 2020
Location: Bellairs Theatre, University of Surrey
The GSA is thrilled to announce it will be hosting the following event: ME TOO: WHAT NEXT?
This event will be led by Anna Francis, a young BA Acting student about to graduate and enter the industry herself.
- Anna McNamara (Co-Chair), GSA Director of Learning and Teaching
- Ita O’Brien, British movement director and intimacy co-ordinator
- Joanna Read, British theatre director and librettist
- Bronagh Waugh, Northern Irish actor and GSA graduate
- Melly Still, British director, designer and choreographer.
School of Hospitality and Tourism Management
Date: Wednesday 25 March 2020
Location: School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, University of Surrey
The School of Hospitality and Tourism Management will be hosting a Think Tank event around the WomENt project (Women, Entrepreneurship and Tourism).
The event will explore women’s journeys through entrepreneurship in the tourism and hospitality industry.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Alessandra Alonso (Founder & CEO, Women in Travel)
- Christina Lawford (Founder & Managing Director, DiamondAir)
- Martinique Lewis (Diversity Travel Consultant & Content Creator)
- Professor Susan Marlow (University of Nottingham)
- Associate Professor Ana Maria Munar (Copenhagen Business School)
- Nigel Morgan, Allan Williams, Albert Kimbu, Anna de Jong and Cristina Figueroa-Domecq (University of Surrey).
For more information or to register for the event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Sociology
Date: Wednesday 11 March 2020
Location: Rik Medlik Building, 33 MS 03, University of Surrey.
The Department of Sociology will be holding a panel session entitled: ‘Reflections on being a woman in higher education’.
The panel will host six women at various stages of their careers and will encourage the panellists to reflect upon their experiences and perspectives on working/studying in higher education and how being a woman has shaped their career identities and experiences.
The event hopes to generate collaborative, mutual exchange between the panellists and encourage women to identify where they can draw strength and insight from one another.
For more information, please contact Dr Emily Setty.
Discover more about the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.