Current academic and student regulations and procedures
Academic year 2022/23
In relation to programmes of study, students follow the academic regulations that were in place at the time of the commencement of their programme unless there are amendments that would be of advantage to students and/or Senate has specifically agreed that amendments should be introduced for all students, in which cases amendments are applied to all students, regardless of year of entry.
These regulations come into force at the start of the 2022/23 academic year (19 September 2022). View a list of amendments (PDF) that have been made to the regulations for 2022/23. A number of regulatory exceptions* were granted by the University for certain programmes within the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences (FHMS): please see the table in the PDF document for further details.
NB. Effective 1 August 2022, any new Reader appointments will be titled Associate Professor. Therefore, all references to “Readers” in these regulations are also applicable to “Associate Professors”. Further information is available on SurreyNet.
- A0: Regulations for the foundation year (PDF)
- A1: Regulations for taught programmes (PDF)
CertHE, DipHE, Foundation degree, Bachelor’s, integrated Master’s, PGCE, PGCert, PGDip, Master’s
- A2: Regulations for research degrees (PDF)
Master of Philosophy (MPhil), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), Doctor of Clinical Practice (DClinPrac), Doctor of Engineering (EngD), Doctor of Psychology (PsychD), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) by Prior Publication.
- A3: Regulations for higher doctorates (PDF)
- A4: Regulations for academic dress (PDF).
The student regulations are updated every year and therefore there is only ever one set in use; the 2022/23 regulations replace all previous versions. Read our student regulations privacy notice.
- B1: Regulations for extenuating circumstances (PDF)
- B2: Regulations for academic integrity (PDF)
- B2.1: Regulations for academic integrity – appeals (PDF)
- B3: Student disciplinary regulations (PDF)
- B4: Regulations for academic appeals (PDF)
- B5: Regulations for support to study (PDF)
- B6: Regulations for fitness to practise (PDF).
For further information please see the relevant pages on the OSCAR website.
- C1: Procedure for complaints (PDF)
- C2: Procedure for hearings by Panel (PDF)
- C3: Procedure for managed exclusion orders (PDF)
- C4: Procedure for awarding posthumous degrees (PDF).
If you have any queries in relation to University of Surrey academic and student regulations and procedures please contact the Academic Policy and Governance team (OSCAR) via email email@example.com.
*Many of the University’s programmes receive accreditation by Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRBs). There may be occasions when the requirements of a PSRB for accreditation do not align with the University regulations. In such cases, a proposal for an exception to regulations is submitted for approval by senior University learning and teaching committees. The full process for the approval of exceptions to regulations is described in the introduction to the quality framework (PDF).
For further information on accredited programmes please see our SurreyNet pages.