Audiovisual and Textual Analysis Using Transana
Attendance dates:January 2020: 31
Time commitment: 1 day
Stag Hill campus, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
This one-day course provides a comprehensive overview of Transana and an opportunity for participants to practice tasks using sample data. The focus is on gaining confidence in setting up a project efficiently, managing and organising data, exploring and conceptualising data, and interrogating and visualising data.
- Understand the structure of Transana and how it can be used throughout a research project
- Navigate around the software and operate it to undertake analysis
- Understand the importance of analytic planning in harnessing Transana tools powerfully
- Set up a Transana project to reflect initial research design and change structures as a research project progresses
- Identify Transana tools that can be used to fulfil specific analytic tasks
- Know where to access relevant resources to support continued Transana use
- Principles of using Transana
- Data preparation, import and organisation
- Data exploration and familiarisation
- Coding strategies including appropriate uses of auto-coding
- Use of writing and visualisation tools to reflect on data and processes
- Querying and outputting
- Analytic planning ensuring analytic strategies drive the appropriate use of software tools
Learning and teaching methods
- Contextual discussions including developmental, methodological and analytical principles
- Step-by-step teaching
- One-to-one tutorials
Christina is manager of the computer-assisted qualitative data analysis software (CAQDAS) networking project and has been working with and teaching a range of CAQDAS packages.
You are required to read the Transana review (PDF) before attending this course.
Software and equipment
Please bring a USB memory stick.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
You should have a broad understanding of qualitative and/or mixed methods methodologies.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£225Government and commercial sector applicants
£175Education and charitable sector applicants
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
Further details of our terms and conditions will follow.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.