Environment and Legislation
This course will describe the legislative framework of environmental protection, describing the major concepts in the field. It will review the establishment and verification of systems for environmental protection, considering both legal and economic aspects and will conclude with a practical review of environmental protection as applied in the nuclear industry.
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a depth of understanding of the principle of environmental protection
- Ability to discuss environmental sampling strategies and understand case studies in a range of applications
- Understand legislation underpinning environmental protection
- Demonstrate critical analysis of numerical data to perform simple calculations of relevant physical phenomena
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of environmental management systems and ISO 14001.
Content includes the following:
- The general principles and legislative basis of environmental protection policy in the UK, European Union, and at International level, and an overview of International Nuclear Law
- Protecting the environment whilst maintaining your business, environmental impact minimisation, best available techniques, setting improvement targets, legal compliance, auditing and review
- Properties of aerosols, flow, diffusion, size distributions, optical properties, coagulation, sampling and aerosol production
- Radioactive substances permitting and radiological impact assessments
- Mathematical modelling of radionuclide transport in the environment, including applications of compartmental models
- Radionuclide dispersion in groundwaters, terrestrial surface waters, estuaries and marine environments. Uptake of radionuclides by plants and animals. Assessment of critical group and collective exposures.
Learning and teaching methods
The learning and teaching methods include:
There are no prerequisites required for this course.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
How to apply
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and following the latest advice from the government relating to large gatherings, we have taken the decision to postpone this course. We apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience caused. If you have any queries about this please email Barbara Steel.
To apply for this short course please contact the Faculty Continuing Education Manager, Barbara Steel who will help process your application.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
- Cancellations notified in writing ten working days before the event; we charge a cancellation fee of 35 per cent of the standard rate. If we have already received payment we refund 65 per cent of the full fee.
- Cancellations within 10 working days before the event; We charge these at the full rate and do not give refunds.
- If no written notice of cancellation is received, no refund can be made.
- The University of Surrey reserves the right to cancel any event. In this case, the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged. Details of event changes or cancellations are available by phoning +44 (0)1483 686040.
- Delegates can make a provisional registration for a course by telephone or email. However bookings are only acknowledged formally once payment has been received.
- Substitutions from the same company may be made following consultation with the Continuing Education Manager.
- The University reserves the right to cancel any course on the grounds of insufficient numbers or for other reasons beyond our control. In this case the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged.
- Registrations cannot be accepted without a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque.
- Proof of payment.
- Registrations must come with a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.