Introduction to QDA Miner and Wordstat
Attendance dates:To be confirmed
Time commitment: 1 day
Stag Hill campus, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
This one-day course provides a general overview to the core functionality of QDA Miner with an introduction to the ways in which the use of WordStat can contribute to mixed methods analyses of textual data. It is suitable for those wanting to explore the possibilities of software which offers sophisticated content analysis and text mining functionality alongside a suite of qualitative analysis tools.
- Understand the structure of QDA Miner and Wordstat and how they can be used throughout a research project
- Navigate around the software and operate it to undertake analysis
- Understand the importance of analytic planning in harnessing tools powerfully
- Set-up a QDA Miner project to reflect initial research design and change structures as a research project progresses
- Identify tools that can be used to fulfil specific analytic tasks
- Know where to access relevant resources to support continued use
- Principles of using QDA Miner and Wordstat
- Data preparation, import and organisation
- Data exploration and familiarisation
- Coding strategies including appropriate uses of auto-coding
- Use of writing and visualisation tools to reflect on data and processes
- Querying and outputting
- Software overview – interface, architecture, tools
- Analytic planning – ensuring analytic strategies drive the appropriate use of software tools
Learning and teaching methods
- Contextual discussions including developmental, methodological and analytical principles
- Step-by-step teaching
- One-to-one tutorials
Christina is manager of the computer-assisted qualitative data analysis software (CAQDAS) networking project and has been working with and teaching a range of CAQDAS packages.
You are required to read the QDA Miner and Wordstat review (PDF) before attending this course.
Software and equipment
You will need to bring your own laptop along with you. This should have the latest versions of QDA Miner and Wordstat installed before you attend the course.
QDA Miner and Wordstat are part of a suite of bespoke mixed methods analytic tools provided by Provalis Research. QDA Miner is a qualitative and mixed methods tool, providing powerful coding, annotating, retrieving and analyzing functions. WordStat is a text analysis tool providing sophisticated quantitative content analysis and text mining tools. Used together they provide sophisticated and flexible means to integrate qualitative and quantitative data and analyses, in ways unique in comparison to other options currently available. There is now a lite version of QDA Miner, providing free access to the basic features of full programme.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
You should have a broad understanding of qualitative and/or mixed methods methodologies.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£225Government and commercial sector applicants
£175Education and charitable sector applicants
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
Further details of our terms and conditions will follow.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.