NVivo Advanced Support
Cancelled due to COVID-19 – to be rescheduled ASAP
Attendance dates:To be confirmed
Time commitment: 1 day
Stag Hill campus, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
This one-day course is flexibly structured to discuss common challenges of working with NVivo to enable you to move on with your analysis. It is designed for researchers who have previously attended an introductory training workshop in NVivo and have been using the software for a real project for some time.
The course is tailored to your specific needs which are identified through a pre-course questionnaire. You will refresh your straightforward uses of software tools and cover more sophisticated uses of these, as required. You will have the opportunity to work on your own NVivo projects during the day and there will be an opportunity for you to discuss this with the tutor.
- Know how to move on beyond initial tasks
- Know how to use the software to accomplish analytic tasks
- Know where to access relevant resources to support continued NVivo use
- Developmental, methodological and analytical principles
- Ensuring classifications are set up efficiently
- Interrogating patterns using query tools
- Visualising and exporting data using maps, charts and queries
Learning and teaching methods
- Contextual discussions
- Group and individual work
- Step-by-step teaching
- One-to-one tutorials
Christina SilverSee profile
Maximum of 14 people.
Software and equipment
Please bring with you:
- A USB memory stick.
- A laptop with NVivo 12 pre-installed.
- A NVivo 12 project.
- Your own research materials with which to work with e.g. literature files, transcripts of interviews and focus-groups, social media content, open-ended survey responses, documentary evidence and visual materials.
As a minimum, you should:
- Have created a project and used folders to create a basic framework for your project.
- Be familiar with navigating around the software using the main menu ribbons, the navigation bar down the left of the screen and through the right mouse click menus.
- Have experimented with importing data (although you may have some questions about the specifics of working with certain types of data i.e. survey data, visual data etc.)
- Have done some early coding work using nodes.
- Have worked on any version or edition of NVivo.
If you don't have this experience but would still like to attend this course, please contact Christina Silver to discuss your eligibility further.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£225Government and commercial sector applicants
£175Education and charitable sector applicants
How to apply
Applications for this course are currently closed.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and following the latest advice from the government relating to large gatherings, we have taken the decision to cancel future dates for this course, until further notice. Those who have registered for this course will be contacted directly regarding refunds. Please bear with us as this may take up to 14 working days to process. We apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
Further details of our terms and conditions will follow.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.