Degree courses with a foundation year
A foundation year can develop your skills and make it easier to get started at university
We’re always looking to make it easier to access the education we offer, so this year we launched the option of taking a degree with a foundation year.
A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of your course that leads in to a full degree programme. It’s a great option if:
- You don’t have the grades for a full degree course
- You have non-traditional qualifications or experience
- You’re starting university after some time away from education
- You’re looking for more support during the transition into university study.
There are also international pathway programmes available for international students.
Available courses with a foundation year
Arts and Social Sciences
Entry requirements: CCC at A-level or equivalent. Our foundation year courses will require specific GCSE subjects, please check the course pages for details.
- Accounting and Finance BSc (Hons)
- Business and Retail Management BSc (Hons)
- Business Economics BSc (Hons)
- Business Management BSc (Hons)
- Business Management (Entrepreneurship) BSc (Hons)
- Business Management (Human Resource Management) BSc (Hons)
- Business Management (Marketing) BSc (Hons)
- Economics BSc (Hons)
- Economics and Finance BSc (Hons)
- International Business Management BSc (Hons)
- International Event Management BSc (Hons)
- International Hospitality Management BSc (Hons)
- International Hospitality and Tourism Management BSc (Hons)
- International Tourism Management BSc (Hons)
Engineering and Physical Sciences
Entry requirements: CCC at A-level or equivalent to include Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry. Our foundation year courses will require specific GCSE subjects, please check the course pages for details.
- Chemical Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Chemical and Petroleum Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Civil Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Computer and Internet Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering with Space Systems BEng (Hons)
- Physics BSc (Hons)
- Physics with Astronomy BSc (Hons)
- Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics BSc (Hons)
- Physics with Quantum Technologies BSc (Hons)
Life as a foundation year student
During a foundation year you’ll learn about your chosen subject, develop your study skills and get used to university life. On successful completion of your foundation year, you’ll be ready to progress to the first year of your degree course.
As a foundation year student, you’ll be a full student of the University and part of our community. You’ll have access to all our campus facilities and support.
To apply for a foundation year course you normally need to have at least CCC at A-level, achieved in the last two years. Our foundation year courses will also require specific GCSE grades. Please check on the relevant course page for full details of our entry requirements.
We welcome applications from people who don’t have A-levels or who completed their A-levels more than two years ago. We make decisions on applications like these on a case-by-case basis.
Fees and funding
Our courses that include a foundation year cost the same each year as our other undergraduate degree courses.
For 2018-19 entry, foundation year students who meet set widening participation criteria may be eligible for the Full Surrey Award. Students meeting all eligibility criteria, and who have a household income of £25,000 or less and who are resident in POLAR quintiles 1 and 2, will receive an award to the value of £3,000, available in all years of study (excluding Professional Training Year and re-sit years). The University will identify eligible students, so there is no application form for this scheme.
Find out more about fees and funding.
If you’re an international student from outside the EU, you can apply for our international foundation year course. It’s similar to our other foundation year courses, but also includes English language training and is especially designed to help you settle in to studying in the UK.
How to apply
Many of our courses have the option of studying with a foundation year.
To apply for a course with a foundation year, simply search on UCAS for your chosen degree course and look for the option of your course ‘with Foundation Year’.