Top jobs with a politics degree
Find out what you could do with a degree in politics and discover some of the jobs Surrey politics graduates have secured over the past few years.
A politics degree can open doors to a wide range of highly fascinating careers. Placed at the top of the 2015 National Student Survey, with 100 per cent for overall satisfaction, our politics programmes are distinctive for their applied nature and strong emphasis on bringing about political and social change at local, national and international levels.
Our politics students benefit from strong industry links and have the option to gain first-hand experience in how politics operates in a real world environment during a Professional Training placement, which have previously been undertaken at MP’s offices, government and local authority departments, international organisations, and voluntary sector organisations.
The Professional Training year is such a huge opportunity and I think without it, you would be at a disadvantage. You feel really supported in finding a placement and there is a lot to choose from. Surrey can open doors for you because it is a great course at a fantastic university. The close links to London can be vital for a politics student. - George Guven, BSc Politics
Careers with a politics degree
Surrey politics graduates have taken up roles such as parliamentary advisors, campaigners, researchers and project managers in companies and organisations including Houses of Parliament, Deloitte and Surrey County Council.
Many have gone on to take Masters degrees in subjects such as international relations and European politics and policy, while others have chosen to study for a PhD in politics. There is a strong record of alumni who have continued education up to doctoral level and become academic scholars in their own right.
Politics graduate jobs
In recent years, our politics graduates have secured many varied roles including:
- Policy Advisor, Department of Education (2016 graduate)
- Isle of Wight Lib Dems Vice Chair, Liberal Democrats (2015 graduate)
- Assistant to UK Defence Advisor, British High Commission Kuala Lumpur (2014 graduate)
- Campaigns Officer, European Parliamentary Labour Party (2013 graduate)
- Membership Coordinator, Guildford Constituency Labour Party (2013 graduate)
- European Network Coordinator on Climate & Energy, WWF European Policy Office (2012 graduate)
Because of the Professional Training year, now that I am applying to jobs I don’t just have a strong academic background but I also have an excellent professional background which is the perfect combination for any employer. - Beatriz Marques, BSc International Politics
- Assistant Project Manager, NHS - Frimley Health Foundation Trust (2015 graduate)
- VP Voice, University of Surrey Students’ Union (2015 graduate)
- Engagement Officer, Healthwatch Surrey (2015 graduate)
- Ethno National Policy, Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (2013 graduate)
- Public Affairs Executive, Association of Convenience Stores (2013 graduate)
- Senior Campaigner, United Voice NSW (2010 graduate)
I relished the challenges and adventures my placement brought. The job and time in Cape Town taught me so much about the practical realities of politics and how the international theory we learn about in lectures plays out in reality. - Lucy Doggett, BSc Politics