Five reasons to study chemistry at Surrey
What makes our chemistry degrees different and what’s the secret behind our graduates’ success? Here we reveal five reasons why you should choose the University of Surrey for your chemistry degree.
1. Top 10 university for chemistry
We’re one of the best places to study chemistry in the UK! Surrey is ranked:
- Top ten for chemistry by the Guardian University Guide 2019
- Gold by the Teaching Excellence Framework at university level.
2. Uniquely supportive learning environment
Joining Surrey’s Department of Chemistry puts you at the heart of a small, friendly community with one of the best staff: student ratios of any UK university chemistry department. We’re proud to offer a high level of personal, academic and professional support.
3. Teaching inspired by research
You’ll learn about cutting edge topics in chemistry – like energy storage materials and fuel cells, forensic investigation and advances in medicinal chemistry – from academics who are leading the way in these fields. You can also choose from a broad range of optional modules, tailoring your course to your individual interests.
Find out about the exciting drug testing research being carried out by our academics.
4. Fantastic work placement opportunities
You can take advantage of our renowned Professional Training placement programme which enables you to get a year’s valuable work experience with a company like:
- British Geological Survey
- Intrinsiq Materials.
5. Great job opportunities
Studying chemistry at Surrey opens up a huge range of career opportunities, not only in the industrial sector but also in finance, government and education. According to the latest figures (Destination of Leavers Survey 2016-17):
- 95% of our students are in a professional or managerial job within six months of graduating
Discover our courses in chemistry.