Dr H Lilian Tang
Computer vision, Image processing, Machine learning, Natural language processing
Moorfields Eye Hospital; Royal Surrey County Hospital; Frimley Health NHS; Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew; School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Science, Queen’s University, Belfast; Department of Clinical Research, Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine; Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat-Sen University, China; Remidio Innovative Solutions, Bangalore, India.
COM2028 Introduction to AI
COM3025 Deep Learning and Advanced AI
- Morphometric Herbarium Image Data Analysis (MORPHIDAS) (http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/morphidas/)
- The work, collaborating with Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, is funded by a 3-year grant, kindly awarded by the Leverhulme Trust.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Filtering of Normal Images (DAPHNE)
- This project is in collaboration with Moorfields Eye Hospital, funded by EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council), to develop an automated system to separate normal and abnormal cases of digital retinal images.
- Surgical Skill Assessment Through Instrument Motion Analysis (SENTIMENT)
- This work is in collaboration with Moorfields Eye Hospital, funded by EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council), to develop an automated system to measure surgeon's dexterity during an operation procedure.
- Investigation of stochastic variations in growth rate as the mechanism of drug tolerance in Mycobacterium Tuberculosis
- funded by BBSRC (Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council).
- This is a collaborative 3 year project working with Microbial Science Department. More details on this project and our finding will follow.
- Statistical Modelling for Diabetic Retinopathy Detection
- Funded by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology & Ministry of Economy and Planning, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Minimal access surgical training, enhancement and reporting software (MASTERS)
- funded by EPSRC
COM2028 Introduction to AI
COM3025 Deep Learning and Advanced AI
Minimum 85 refereed papers were published. Highlights below include those from recent 5 years:
- Al Turk L., Wang S, Krause P, Alsawadi H, Alshamrani A. Z. Peto T, Bastawrous A., Huang W., and Tang H. L, Automated Retinal Image Reading and Progression Analysis, European Journal of Ophthalmology, 2018.
- Saleh G, Balal S, Smith P, Bader T, Tang H, Sullivan P, Carlson T, and Thomsen A. S , Computer analysis of individual cataract surgery segments in the operating room, Eye, Nature, 2018.
- Balntas V, Tang L, Mikolajczyk K, Binary Online Learned Descriptors, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence.
- Day A., Smith P, Tang H. L., Aiello F, Hussain B, Maurino V, Marshall J, Saleh G. S., Surgical efficiency in femtosecond laser cataract surgery compared to phacoemulsification cataract surgery: a case control study, BMJ Open.
- Hu Y, Wang S, Ma N, Hingley-Wilson S, Rocco, A, McFadden J, H. L. Tang, "Trajectory Energy Minimisation for Cell Growth Tracking and Genealogy Analysis", Royal Society Open Science.
- Thomsen A S, Smith P, Morten la Cour Y S,, Tang L, Saleh G M., Konge L, High correlation between performance on a virtual-reality simulator and real-life cataract surgery, Acta Ophthalmologica. 2016 Sep 29. doi: 10.1111/aos.13275.
- Hansen M B., Tang HL, Wang S, Al Turk L, Piermarocchi R, Speckauskas M, Hense H-W, Leung I and Peto T, Automated detection of Diabetic Retinopathy in Three European Populations, Journal of Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology, cited as: Hansen et al., J Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2016, 7:4, DOI: 10.4172/2155-9570.1000582.
- Din N, Smith P, Emeriewen K, Sharma A, Jones S, Tang H, Sullivan P, Caputo S and Saleh G M., Man vs Machine: Software training for surgeons -an objective evaluation of human and computer-based training tools for cataract surgical performance.", Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 2016, Article ID 3548039, 7 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/3548039.
- Saleh G M., Wawrzynski J, Caputo S, Peto T, Al turk L, Wang S, Hu Y, Cruz L. D, Smith P and Tang H, An automated detection system for microaneurysms that is effective across different racial groups, Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Wang S; Tang, H L; Al turk, L; Hu, Y; Sanei, S; Saleh, G; Peto, T, Localising Microaneurysms in Fundus Images Through Singular Spectrum Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Print ISSN: 0018-9294, Online ISSN: 1558-2531, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TBME.2016.2585344, 2016 Jun 27.
- Alghamdi H S., Tang Hongying L, Waheeb S A., and Peto T, Automatic Optic Disc Abnormality Detection in Fundus Images: A Deep Learning Approach, 19th International Conference on Medical Image Computing & Computer Assisted Intervention, MICCAI 2016.
- Safaei A, Tang HL, Sanei S (2016), Real Time Search Free Multiple License Plate Recognition via Likelihood Estimation of Saliency, Computers and Electrical Engineering.
- Safaei A, Tang HL, Sanei S, Incorporating Negentropy in Saliency-based Search Free Car Number Plate Localization, 2016 International Conference on Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- Safaei A, Tang HL, Sanei S (2016) Robust Search-Free Car Number Plate Localization Incorporating Hierarchical Saliency. Journal of Computer Science & Systems Biology, 9:093-103. doi:10.4172/jcsb.1000225.
- Wawrzynski J R, Smith P, Tang L, Hoare T, Caputo S, Marshall J, Tsatsos M, Saleh G M, Tracking camera control in endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy surgery., Clinical Otolaryngology, 2015 Apr 8. PMID: 25858299.
- Balntas V, Johns E, Tang L, Mikolajczyk K, PN-Net: Conjoined Triple Deep Network for Learning Local Image Descriptors, arXiv:1601.05030 [cs.CV].
- Alghmdi H, Tang H L, Hansen M, O'Shea A, Al turk L, Peto T, Measurement of Optical Cup to Disc Ratio in Fundus Images for Glaucoma screening, International Workshop on Computational Intelligence for Multimedia Understanding IWCIM 2015, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Peto T., Saleh G.M., Caputo S., Al turk L., Wang S., Hu Y., Tang H. L., The Application of Machine Learning to the Automated Detection of Microaneurysms in Different Ethnic Group with Diabetic Retinopathy, European Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Balntas V, Tang L, Mikolajczyk K, “BOLD - Binary Online Learnt Descriptor for efficient image matching”, CVPR2015, June 7-12 2015, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Alghamdi H. S. Tang L, Jin Y, Ensemble Learning Optimization for Diabetic Retinopathy Image Analysis, 10th International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, 11-14 March 2015, Berlin, Germany.
- Balntas V, Tang L, Mikolajczyk K, Improving object tracking with voting from false positive detections, 22nd International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 24-28 August 2014 Stockholm, Sweden.
- Safaei A, Tang HL. and Sanei S, Search-free license plate localisation based on Saliency and local variance estimation. The 7th International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2014).
- Tang HL, Goh J, Peto T, Ling BW-K, Al turk L, et al. (2013) The Reading of Components of Diabetic Retinopathy: An Evolutionary Approach for Filtering Normal Digital Fundus Imaging in Screening and Population Based Studies. PLoS ONE 8(7): e66730. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0066730.
- Smith P, Tang L, Balntas V, Young K, Athanasiadis Y, Sullivan P, Hussain B and Saleh GM, “PhacoTracking” An Evolving Paradigm in Ophthalmic Surgical Training, JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013;131(5):659-661. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2013.28.
- Corney DPA, Tang HL, Clark JY, Hu Y, Jin J (2012) Automating Digital Leaf Measurement: The Tooth, the Whole Tooth, and Nothing but the Tooth. PloS ONE 7(8): e42112. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042112.
- Clark J, Corney D and Tang L (2012), Automated Plant Identification using Artificial Neural Networks, the 2012 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, May 9-12, 2012 San Diego, California.
- Subramaniam S. R., Georgakis A., Ling B.W.K., Goh J., Tang H.L., Peto T. and Saleh G., Optimal and Simultaneous Designs of Hermitian Transforms and Masks for Reducing Intraclass Separations of Feature Vectors for Anomaly Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy Images, IEEE, IET 8th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP 2012), 18-20 July 2012, Poznan, Poland.
- Goh J, Tang L, Peto T and Saleh G, An Evolutionary Approach for Determining Hidden Markov Model for Medical Image Analysis, the 2012 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 11-15 June 2012, Brisbane, Australia.
- Corney DPA, Clark JY, Tang HL, Wilkin P, Automatic Extraction of Leaf Characters from Herbarium Specimens, TAXON 61 (1), February 2012: 231–244. Impact Factor: 3.299. (cit. 30)
- Tang H. L., Peto T., Goh J., Jin Y., Chuluunkhuu C., Filtering Normal Diabetic Retinopathy Images through Evolutionary Computation, European Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol.21, No.3, May-June 2011, pp. 347-348.
- Baldas, V., Tang, L., Bountris, P., Saleh, G., & Koutsouris, D. (2010). A real-time automatic instrument tracking system on cataract surgery videos for dexterity assessment. Proceedings of the IEEE/EMBS Region 8 International Conference on Information Technology Applications in Biomedicine, ITAB.
- Goh, J., Tang, L., Saleh, G., Al Turk, L., Fu, Y., & Browne, A. (2009). Filtering Normal Retinal Images for Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Using Multiple Classifiers. In 2009 9TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND APPLICATIONS IN BIOMEDICINE (pp. 609-612). Larnaka, CYPRUS: IEEE.
- Chen, L., & Tang, H. L. (2004, February 19). Improved computation of beliefs based on confusion matrix for combining multiple classifiers. ELECTRON LETT, 40(4), 238-239. doi:10.1049/el:20040176.
- Tang, H. L., Hanka, R., & Ip, H. (2003). Histological image retrieval based on semantic content analysis. IEEE Transactions On Information Technology In Biomedicine, 7(1), 26-36. doi:10.1109/TITB.2003.808500, MARCH 2003.
- Tang, L. H. Y., Hanka, R., Ip, H., Cheung, K., & Lam, R. (2000). Semantic query processing and annotation generation for content-based retrieval of histological images. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 3980, 366-375. (Cum Laude Award).
At least further 50 refereed papers published including 17 publications on my early work in natural language processing and machine translation.