Dr. Hongbo (Daisy) Liu joined the University in 2019 as a Lecturer in Hospitality. She received her BA in Tourism Management from Fudan University in 2012 in China, MS in International Hospitality and Tourism Management from University of South Carolina in the U.S. in 2014, and PhD degree in Business Administration from Temple University in the U.S. in 2019. She has led or co-authored more than 30 publications, including journal articles, book chapters and conference papers. She also has worked on over 20 projects funded by various private and public sector sponsors, ranging from universities to theme parks to tourism bureaus. Her research interests include digital marketing, social media, digital technology, cross-cultural studies, and consumer psychology in tourism and hospitality.
University roles and responsibilities
- Programme Leader - MSc in International Hospitality Management with Digital Innovation
- SHTM Student Exchange Coordinator
In the media
Consumer behaviour and psychology in tourism and hospitality
Principle Investigator. Funded by the British Academy Small Grant, Sep 2021 – Sep 2022. Amount awarded £ 10,000.
Co-Investigator. Funded by Hong Kong Research Grant Council (RGC) Direct Allocation Grant. Jul 2021 - Jul 2023. Amount awarded: HK$ 200,000. PI: Dr. Hengyun (Neil) Li.
Co-Investigator. Funded by Department General Research Funds of Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Oct 2021 - Sep 2023. Amount awarded: HK$ 99,950. PI: Dr. Hengyun (Neil) Li.
Postgraduate research supervision
Vanessa Cumper 2020 - present
Topic: How can Augmented Reality on mobile devices enhance recreational activities for people who are D/deaf in museums and galleries? Co-supervise with Professor Caroline Scarles (Doctoral College studentship).
Shoukry Samuel Amin Rozek 2021 - present
Topic: Wellbeing of Muslim medical travellers. Co-supervise with Professor Scott Cohen.
MAN1112 Speciality Operations in Hospitality
MAN2124 Service Marketing
MAN2130 Technology, Media and Data
MANM469 Service Marketing for Events, Tourism and Hospitality
MANM386 Research Methods
MANM497 Research Methods for the Digital Age
MANM499 Digital Marketing for Hospitality
- Cohen, S., Liu, H., Hanna, P., Hopkins, D., Higham, J. & Gössling, S. (2021). The Rich Kids of Instagram: Luxury travel, transport modes and desire. Journal of Travel Research, https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287521103774.
- Liu, H. & Li, X. (2021). How travel earns us bragging rights: A qualitative inquiry and conceptualization of travel bragging rights. Journal of Travel Research, 60(8). https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287520964599.
- Li. H., Qi, R., Liu, H., Meng, F., & Zhang, Z. (2021). Can time soften your opinion? The impact of review temporal distance on restaurant evaluation conformity. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 92, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2020.1027.
- Yang, Y., Liu, H., & Chen, X. (2020). COVID-19 and restaurant demand: Early effects of the pandemic and stay-at-home orders. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-06-2020-0504.
- Li, H., Liu, H., & Zhang, Z. (2020). Online persuasion of review emotional intensity: A text mining analysis of restaurant reviews. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 89, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2020.102558.
- Zou, S., Tan, K. P. S., Liu, H., Li, X. & Chen, Y. (2020). Mobile versus PC: Does device type affect online survey response quality in tourism research? Current Issues of Tourism, https://doi.org/10.1080/13683500.2020.1797645.
- Liu, H., Wu, L., & Li, X. (2019). Social media envy: How experience sharing on social networking sites drives Millennials’ aspirational tourism consumption. Journal of Travel Research, 58(3), 355-369. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287518761615.
- Yang, Y., Liu, H., & Li, X. (2019). The world is flatter? Examining the relationship between cultural distance and international tourist flows. Journal of Travel Research, 58(2), 224-240. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287517748780.
- Liu, H., Li, X. & Tan K. P. S. (2019). What determines destination loyalty? Revisiting the investment model in a destination context. Tourism Review International, 23 (1/2), 21-36.
- Liu, H., Li, H., Dipietro, R., & Levitt, J. (2018). The role of authenticity in mainstream ethnic restaurants: Evidence from an independent full-service Italian restaurant. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 30(2), 1035–1053.
- Yang, Y., Liu, H., Li, X., & Harrill, R. (2018). A shrinking world for tourists? Examining the changing role of distance factors in understanding destination choices. Journal of Business Research, 92, 350-359.
- Liu, H., Li, X., Cardenas, D., & Yang, Y. (2018). Perceived cultural distance and international destination choice: The role of destination familiarity, geographic distance, and cultural motivation. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 9, 300–309.
- Guo, Y., Liu, H., & Chai, Y. (2014). The embedding convergence of smart cities and tourism internet of things in China: An advance perspective. Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Research, 2(1), 54–69.