- 1989: B.Sc. (Hons.) in Mathematical Physics, University of Edinburgh.
- 1990: Certificate of Advanced Study in Mathematics (with distinction), University of Cambridge.
- 1993: Ph.D. Mathematics, University of Cambridge.
Numerous postdoctoral positions. Joined Department of Mathematics, University of Surrey as a Reader in January 2013.
For more details, please visit http://jdegrant.wordpress.com.
My work now centres on the application of tools from analysis and the theory of partial differential equations to problems in geometry and mathematical physics. I am particularly interested in problems related to low-regularity geometrical structures. I also have long-term interests in mathematical relativity, spectral theory and the theory of integrable systems.
2013/14, Semester 1: MAT2004 Real Analysis 2.
Coordinator of the literature reviews and projects for Year 3 and Year M students.
Selected recent publications:
- Volume comparison for submanifolds in Lorentzian manifolds and singularity theorems, with Jan-Hendrik Treude, Annals of Global Analysis and Geometry 43 (2013), 233-251.
- On Lorentzian causality with continuous metrics, with P.T. Chruściel, Classical and Quantum Gravity 29 (2012), 145001.
- New energy inequalities for tensorial wave equations on spacetimes that satisfy a one-sided bound, with A. Burtscher and P.G. LeFloch, Communications in Partial Differential Equations 37 (2012), 1596-1619.
- Reducible connections and non-local symmetries of the self-dual Yang-Mills equations, Communications in Mathematical Physics 296 (2010), 429-446.
- The ADHM construction and non-local symmetries of the self-dual Yang-Mills equations, Communications in Mathematical Physics 296 (2010), 405-428.
- The wave equation on singular space-times, with E. Mayerhofer and R. Steinbauer, Communications in Mathematical Physics 285 (2009), 399-420.
For more information, please visit http://jdegrant.wordpress.com.