Professor John F Watts
- Application of X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) to materials science
- Application of time of flight secondary ion mass spectrometry (ToF-SIMS) to materials science
- Cathodic delamination of organic coatings and in adhesive joints
- Organic coatings for corrosion prevention
- Adhesive bonding for aerospace and automotive applications
- Surface modification of polymers
- Environmentally friendly pretreatments for adhesive bonding
- High energy XPS
- Acid-base interactions in adhesion
- Editor in Chief, Surface and Interface Analysis (John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- International Steering Committee of ECASIA Conference Series
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives
- EPSRC College: Structural Materials
- EPSRC Panel Member and Chairman
- Organising Committee of SIMS XVI
Honours and Awards
- Redland Prize (1978)
- Alcoa Foundation Award (1992)
- Robert L Patrick Fellowship of The Adhesion Society Inc. (2006)
- Award for Excellence in Adhesive Science from The Adhesion Society Inc. (2008)
- British Vacuum Council Senior Prize and John Yarwood Memorial Medal (2008)
- UK Surface Analysis forum Riviere Prize (2010)
- DUniv: Docteur Honoris Causa, Universite' Paris Diderot (2011)
- Le Prix Dédale - division of the societe
Current Research Programmes
- The interphase chemistry of multi-component polymer to metal adhesion
- Charge transfer and hybridisation in Al and Mg alloys
- Interphase chemistry of adhesively bonded galvanised steel
- Engineering the adhesion of polymer surfaces with organosilanes
- Adsorption of organosilane molecules on metal surfaces and the relationship to adhesive joint performance
- Environmentally friendly pretreatment of aluminum for space applications.
- Nanomaterials for paints and adhesives
- Reactive hot melt adhesives
Selected recent publications (full list available on request):
- K Shimizu, C Phanopoulos, M-L Abel, J F Watts, “The characterisation of the interfacial interaction between polymeric MDI and aluminium: A ToF-SIMS and XPS study” Surf Interf Anal, 42, 1432-1444, (2010).
- R. Grilli, M A Baker, J E Castle, B Dunn, J F Watts, “Localized corrosion of a 2219 aluminium alloy exposed to a 3.5% NaCl solution”, Corros. Sci. 52, 2855-2866, (2010).
- J F Watts, “The potential for the application of XPS in forensic science” Surf Interf Anal, 42, 358-462, (2010).
- J F Watts “Role of corrosion in the failure of adhesive joints” in J A Richardson et al (Eds) Shreir's Corrosion, Volume 3, pp 2463 - 2481, Elsevier Amsterdam, (2010).
- J F Watts, "Adhesion science and technology" in Handbook of Surface and Interface Analysis: Methods for Problem Solving, Eds J C Riviere, S Myhra, CRC Press an imprint of Taylor and Francis Group, (2009) pp5651- 602.
- J Bertho, V Stolojan, M-L Abel, J F Watts, “The effect of silane incorporation on a metal adhesive interface: A study by electron energy loss spectroscopy” Micron, 41, 130-134, (2010).
- D R Baer, A S Lea, J Cazaux, J D Geller, J S Hammond, L Kover, C J Powell, M P Seah, M Suziki, J Wolstenholme, J F Watts, “Approaches to analysing insulators with Auger electron spectroscopy: Update and overview”, J Elec Spec, 176, 80-94, (2010).
- M-L Abel, J F Watts, “Examination of the interface of a model adhesive joint by surface analysis: A study by XPS and ToF-SIMS”, Surf Interf Anal, 41, 508-516, 2009.
- A R Wood, M-L Abel, P A Smith, J F Watts, “Chemical characterisation of the fracture surfaces of polyester resin and a polyester resin-based nanocomposite” J Adhes Sci Tech, 23, 689-708, (2009).
- A R Wood, N Benedetto, N Hooker, E Scullion, P A Smith, J F Watts, “Development of an automated in situ fracture stage for a ToF-SIMS system”, Surf Interf Anal, 40, 1409-1414, (2008).
- K Shimizu, M-L Abel, J F Watts, “Evaluation of the interaction and adsorption of γ-glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane with grit-blasted aluminium: A ToF-SIMS and XPS study”, J Adhes, 84, 725-741, (2008).
- N Moslemzadeh, G Beamson, S Diplas, P Taskiropoulos, J F Watts, “Monitoring atomic level electronic charges in the alloying of stainless steels with Auger and photoelelctron spectroscopy” Surf Sci, 602, 216-225, (2008).
- B Lindsay, M-L Abel, J F Watts, “A study of electrochemically treated PAN based carbon fibres by IGC and XPS” Carbon, 45, 2433-2444, (2007).
- A J Kinloch, C F Korenberg, K T Tan, J F Watts, “Crack growth in structural adhesive joints in aqueous environments” J Mater Sci, 42, 6353 - 6370, (2007).
- D A Jesson, P A Smith, J N Hay, J F Watts, “The effect of ormosil nano-particles on the toughness of a polyester resin” J Mater Sci, 42, 3230 - 3237, (2007).
- A R Wood, P A Smith, J F Watts, “The forensic study of single fibre pull-out specimens using ToF-SIMS”, Composite Interfaces 14, 387 - 402, (2007).
- S J Hinder, C Lowe, J F Watts, “ToF-SIMS depth profiling of a complex polymeric coating employing a C60 sputter source” Surf Interf Anal, 39, 467-475, (2007).
- D A Jesson, M-L Abel, J N Hay, P A Smith, J F Watts, “Organic-inorganic hybrid nanoparticles: Surface characteristics and interactions with a polyester resin” Langmuir, 22, 5144-5151, (2006).
- A Rattana M-L Abel, J F Watts , “Degradation of interfacial chemistry of epoxy/silane/aluminium interfaces as a result of aqueous attack”, J Adhes, 81, 963-988, (2005).
- S J Hinder, C Lowe, J T Maxted, J F Watts, “A ToF-SIMS investigation of a buried polymer-polymer interface exposed by ultra-low-angle microtomy”, Surf Interf Anal, 36, 1575 - 1581, (2004).