Rao Martand Singh
Dr Rao Martand Singh is a Lecturer of Geotechnical Engineering in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Energy and environment is close to his heart and he applies Geotechnical Engineering knowledge and experience to solve problems related to energy and environment. He has been through an adventurous journey of learning, teaching and research and worked/travelled around the world. Previously he worked as a Research Fellow on geothermal energy pile foundation project at Monash University in Australia. He obtained his PhD from Geoenvironmental Research Centre (GRC), Cardiff University, MTech from IIT Delhi and BEng from MBM Jodhpur. His PhD research involved investigation of heat transfer and mass movement in unsaturated swelling and non-swelling clays and was part of a collaborative European Commission (EC) project involving various research centres and universities across Europe. After his PhD he continued working as a Research Associate at GRC, Cardiff University and was involved in another EC funded research project that aimed at a deep understanding of thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) process in unsaturated swelling clays proposed as engineering barriers for safe disposal of high-level nuclear waste.
Dr Singh has got 15 years of international experience in the area of geothermal energy pile foundation, soil-structure interaction, nuclear waste disposal, gas/liquid permeability characteristic of cement bentonite used in cut-off walls and borehole walls, thermal properties/suction measurement techniques and thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) behaviour of unsaturated soils and geosynthetics. He is collaborating with industries to find practical solution of problems related to energy and environment. He has published extensively in reputed journals and conferences.
Geothermal energy pile foundation, soil-structure interaction, coal seam gas (CSG), wind farm collector system, gas/liquid permeability characteristic of cement bentonite used in cut-off walls and borehole walls, unsaturated geosynthetic clay liner (GCL), barrier design for nuclear waste, suction measurement techniques, thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) behavior of soils and geosynthetics, modification of bentonite to improve its retention capacity.
Monash University, Australia
Queen's University, Canada
Cardiff University, UK
MNIT Jaipur, India
University Sao Paulo, Brazil
University of Cyprus
Energy Geotechnics ENGM270
Geotechnical Engineering1 ENG3175
Engineering Geology & Geomechanics ENG1075
Surveying ENG1074, ENG2105
• Ground Engineering Group ICE Wales
• Institute of Ground Source Heat Pump Association (IGSHPA)
• Institute of Engineers India (IEI)
• Australian Geomechanics Society (AGS)
Postgraduate research supervision
- Rouf A, Bouazza A, Singh RM, Gates WP, Rowe RK. (2016) 'Gas flow unified measurement system for sequential measurement of gas diffusion and gas permeability of partially hydrated geosynthetic clay liners'. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 53 (6), pp. 1000-1012.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811557/
- Faizal M, Bouazza A, Singh RM. (2016) 'Heat transfer enhancement of geothermal energy piles'. Elsevier Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 57, pp. 16-33.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811556/
- Singh RM, Bouazza A, Wang B. (2015) 'Near-field ground thermal response to heating of a geothermal energy pile: Observations from a field test'. Elsevier Soils and Foundations, 55 (6), pp. 1412-1426.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811561/
- Rouf MA, Bouazza A, Singh RM, Gates WP, Rowe RK. (2015) 'Water vapour adsorption and desorption in GCLs'. ICE Publishing Geosynthetics International, 23 (2), pp. 86-99.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811569/
- Rouf MA, Singh RM, Bouazza A, Rowe RK, Gates WP. (2015) 'Gas permeability of partially hydrated geosynthetic clay liner under two stress conditions'. ICE Publishing Environmental Geotechnics,
- Acikel AS, Singh RM, Bouazza A, Gates WP, Rowe RK. (2015) 'Applicability and accuracy of the initially dry and initially wet contact filter paper tests for matric suction measurement of geosynthetic clay liners'. ICE Publishing Geotechnique: international journal of soil mechanics, 65 (9), pp. 780-787.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811559/
- Barry-Macaulay D, Bouazza A, Wang B, Singh RM. (2015) 'Evaluation of soil thermal conductivity models'. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 52 (11), pp. 1892-1900.
- Yu KL, Singh RM, Bouazza A, Bui HH. (2015) 'Determining Soil Thermal Conductivity Through Numerical Simulation of a Heating Test on a Heat Exchanger Pile'. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 33 (2), pp. 239-252.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811567/
- Wang B, Bouazza A, Singh RM, Haberfield C, Barry-Macaulay D, Baycan S. (2014) 'Posttemperature Effects on Shaft Capacity of a Full-Scale Geothermal Energy Pile'. American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 141 (4) Article number 04014125
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811277/
- Bouazza A, Singh RM, Rowe RK, Gassner F. (2014) 'Heat and moisture migration in a geomembrane–GCL composite liner subjected to high temperatures and low vertical stresses'. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 42 (5), pp. 555-563.
- Bouazza A, Zornberg J, McCartney JS, Singh RM. (2013) 'Unsaturated geotechnics applied to geoenvironmental engineering problems involving geosynthetics'. Engineering Geology, 165, pp. 143-153.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811576/
- Barry-Macaulay D, Bouazza A, Singh RM, Wang B, Ranjith PG. (2013) 'Thermal conductivity of soils and rocks from the Melbourne (Australia) region'. Elsevier Engineering Geology, 164, pp. 131-138.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811575/
- Cleall PJ, Singh RM, Thomas HR. (2013) 'Vapour transfer in unsaturated compacted bentonite'. ICE Publishing Geotechnique: international journal of soil mechanics, 63 (11), pp. 957-964.
- Singh RM, Bouazza A. (2013) 'Thermal conductivity of geosynthetics'. Elsevier Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 39, pp. 1-8.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811574/
- Al-Otaibi FA, Wegian FM, Alnaki AA, Almutairi SKH, Singh RM. (2012) 'Effect of bitumen addition on the long-term permeability of sabkha soil'. Kuwait Journal of Science and Engineering, 39 (2(B)), pp. 131-148.
- Bouazza A, Singh RM, Wang B, Barry-Macaulay D, Haberfield C, Chapman G, Baycan S, Carden Y. (2011) 'Harnessing on site renewable energy through pile foundations'. Australian Geomechanics Journal, 46 (4), pp. 79-90.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811582/
- Cleall PJ, Singh RM, Thomas HR. (2011) 'Non-isothermal moisture movement in unsaturated kaolin: An experimental and theoretical investigation'. ASTM International ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, 34 (5), pp. 514-524.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811579/
- de Moel M, Bach PM, Bouazza A, Singh RM, JingLiang OS. (2010) 'Technological advances and applications of geothermal energy pile foundations and their feasibility in Australia'. Elsevier Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14 (9), pp. 2683-2696.
- Wang B, Bouazza A, Barry-Macaulay D, Singh RM, Webster M, Haberfield C, Chapman G, Baycan S. (2012) 'Field and Laboratory Investigation of a Heat Exchanger Pile'. ASCE Proceedings of GeoCongress 2012: State of the Art and Practice in Geotechnical Engineering, Oakland, USA: GeoCongress 2012: State of the Art and Practice in Geotechnical Engineering, pp. 4396-4405.
Repository URL: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/811763/