Postgraduate Research Experience Survey privacy notice
The institution running the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) is the University of Surrey. We have a named Data Protection Officer, Suzie Mereweather, who can be contacted via email@example.com.
By taking part in this survey, you will help us to better understand your experience of postgraduate research programmes at Surrey, what lives up to expectations and what does not, what difficulties and challenges you face, and how we can improve things.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
Any personal data you give us when you respond to this survey will be processed only with your consent which you give at the start of the survey.
We collate responses so that we only use the data in a way that cannot identify individuals and do not use the individual responses you make to the survey.
We do not use data collected through the survey to make decisions about individuals or to analyse information on an individual level.
All responses collected through the survey are stored by Jisc on our behalf. The responses are held securely by Jisc, the University of Surrey and Advance HE.
Advance HE will use the data collected from the survey to support the University of Surrey and produce national reports. They will not identify any individuals in these reports.
All the data we gather from the survey will be kept for 10 years after the survey closes, however we will remove any identifying information one year after the survey closes.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.
If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.