Formalising artisanal and small-scale mining in sub-Saharan Africa
This research focuses on showcasing the importance of artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) – low-tech, labour-intensive mineral extraction and processing – in sub-Saharan Africa.
Aims and objectives
- To engage host governments and donors and to reshape the dialogue on ASM in sub-Saharan Africa
- To facilitate the formalisation of ASM activities in the region.
- Work toward facilitating policy changes
- Position unlicensed and unsupported operators to register and legitimise their activities
- Secure technological and financial assistance
- Put the sector in a position to be a platform for wealth creation and in the process.
Professor Gavin Hilson
Professor and Chair of Sustainability in Business