The School of Economics boasts an exceptional reputation. It is home to a thriving and vibrant environment in which you can learn and develop, with close staff-student interactions at its heart.
Whichever level of study you choose, we will help you unlock your potential.
Staff-student relations are excellent and the School prides itself on creating a warm and friendly environment in which all its members are able to realise their full potential.
Teaching on the courses is by lectures, tutorials, seminars and workshop sessions. The purpose is to use, rather than merely to study, economics. In tutorials, you will be encouraged to present your own ideas and to develop the verbal skills that will stand you in good stead for the future.
Classes and workshops are essentially practical sessions in which you will develop the ability to apply and use economics.
A well-earned reputation
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) - Gold
Based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that the University of Surrey delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
Our economics and mathematics course achieved 100% overall satisfaction in National Student Survey (NSS) 2017.
We offer a range of courses at undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research levels of study.
Professional Training placements
Our Professional Training placement programme gives students access to the world of work as part of their degree.
- The Duncan Bloomfield Memorial Prize awarded to the first-year student with the best performance in the Principles of Macroeconomics and Principles of Microeconomics modules: a prize of £500
- The Ishiv Chopla Memorial Prize awarded to the best overall student in Economics: a prize of £500
- Best overall student in Business Economics: a prize of £500
- Best overall student in Economics and Finance: a prize of £500
- Best overall student in Economics and Mathematics: a prize of £500
- Ting Memorial Prize awarded for best performing MSc student: a prize of £500
- Faculty Prize for best dissertation: a prize of £500
When your graduate, you automatically become part of a network of over 100,000 alumni worldwide. You can also benefit from a whole range of services and offers available exclusively to you. Find out more.