Throughout your PhD, you will be supported by an team of supervisors carrying out cutting-edge research in a range of topics including competitiveness in the visitor economy, digital visitor economy, and sustainability and wellbeing in the visitor economy. You will also have several mentoring and teaching opportunities, joining more than 50 PhD students, in one of the largest hospitality and tourism communities in the world.
What we are researching
Competitiveness in the visitor economy
- Competitiveness at firm and destination levels
- Modelling and forecasting the visitor economy
- Equality and diversity in employment
- Labour markets, productivity, career mobilities, skills, flexible employment and entrepreneurial migration
- Advances in destination branding, innovation, revenue management, and visitor experience and satisfaction
- Risk and disaster impacts
Sustainability and wellbeing in the visitor economy
- Sustainability evidence-based policy making
- Industry’s acceptance of responsibility for sustainable development
- Sustainable development and entrepreneurship
- Sustainable and efficient transportation
- Sustainability marketing, product design and communication
Digital visitor economy
- Digital transformation
- New media and consumer behaviour,
- New business models
- Disruptive innovation, transformation in business operations and performance
- Smart systems including artificial intelligence and robotics, sensors andthe internet of things
- Data science including biometric research, data analytics and pattern recognition in big data
Find a course
Find out more about applying to Surrey.
Our Doctoral College supports the academic and professional development of postgraduate researchers to ensure our world-leading research continues to grow. There is also an extensive Researcher Development Programme run at university level.
What our students say
Read our student profiles to discover first-hand what it's like to study with us.