Useful contacts and resources

Find out about support and services available from outside the University.

Access to Work scheme

Access to Work is a scheme run by the Department of Work and Pensions that supports disabled people in overcoming work-related obstacles resulting from their disability or health condition. It provides both the disabled member of staff and the University with advice and support that may arise because of an individual's needs.

If you or your employee is eligible for Access to Work, you may be able to secure funding to pay for a range of support needs including support worker and transportation to work costs. Unemployed or employed disabled people who need help with a communicator at a job interview can also get help from Access to Work.

It is important for a disabled staff member who thinks that they are eligible for Access to Work support, to contact the HR manager or adviser as soon as possible upon starting employment at the University—in order to receive the maximum support from Access to Work an application should be made within six weeks of starting work. It is recommended that a discussion with their line manager is also held.

Any members of staff who are or become disabled under the criteria of the Equality Act are eligible to apply for a grant from Access to Work irrespective of the length of time at the University, though in these cases the Access to Work Scheme may not meet 100% of the costs.


Remploy is now one of the UK's leading providers of specialist employment services for disabled people and those experiencing complex barriers to work. Tailored services to help individuals prepare for, gain and remain in sustainable work include:

  • Development
  • Training
  • Learning 
  • Rehabilitation.

Remploy believe in greater inclusion and equality for disabled people through sustainable employment, shaping their commitment to equip disabled people with the skills and confidence they need to build enduring careers.

Remploy can assist individuals and management with the Access to Work application process.

    Support services/websites

    These websites are provided as useful reference points for disabled staff and those managing them. Please note, however, the University is not responsible for the content of the sites. The inclusion of a link to an external website should not, therefore, be interpreted as an endorsement of that site, its content, or any product or service it may provide.

    We recognise that this is not an exhaustive list, if you are looking for information on a specific disability that is not listed here, please contact the Occupational Health, Human Resources or People, Culture and Inclusion teams.

    Asthma UK / 020 7786 4900 / helpline 0800 121 6255 9am–5pm Monday–Friday

    SCOPE  / 0808 800 3333 9am–9pm Monday–Friday, 2pm–6pm Saturday and Sunday / P.O. Box 833 Milton Keynes MK12 5NY

    Sign language interpreting agencies:

    Action for ME / 0845 123 2314 11am–1pm Monday to Friday)

    The term mental health difficulties is used to include a range of diagnoses from temporary depression or anxiety to longer-term issues. These sites have information covering the full spectrum of diagnoses, including Bi-polar disorder, Schizophrenia and eating disorders.

    Overview organisations and information:


    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD):

    Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD):



    RNIB / 0303 123 9999 (helpline)