Specific advice for University of Surrey students. Please check back regularly for any updates and read our general advice for important information about what to do if you think you need to self-isolate, as well as wellbeing advice and travel guidance, and operational changes as a result of local or national government restrictions.

Covid-19 health and safety induction

Supporting your safe campus experience – health and safety essential information

In order to keep our community safe and protect each other, please complete this 15-minute online course about our Covid-19 Health and Safety measures. This course is essential: please watch the presentation in full, and then complete the form.

  1. View the presentation
  2. Complete the online form

Advice for students

Teaching and assessments for 2021/22 academic year

Hi All, 

I hope you are feeling good and Semester 2 is going well for you so far, whether you are studying from afar or back on campus.  

For those of you who are continuing your studies with us in the next academic year, I wanted to send you a brief update about our plans.  

The government’s roadmap out of lockdown gives us every reason to be optimistic about recovering from the pandemic over the coming six months. However, I’m sure you’re aware that there is a review in advance of each step of the roadmap before restrictions are eased.  

We hope that all restrictions will have been removed by September but, realistically, it is likely there will still be a level of uncertainty as we head into the summer months. We anticipate that we will return fully to campus as usual from September and will be preparing for this, while planning for other possibilities should there be any delays to the government’s roadmap. Although students will be campus-based, we will continue to deliver our teaching via hybrid education from September 2021, building on the positive aspects of what we have done this year, while taking advantage of the relaxed restrictions to provide the best possible experience for you.  

Generally, this means continuing with most lectures delivered through captured content, while labs and tutorials will be timetabled for face-to-face delivery with the possibility of some social distancing protocols. We have heard from many of you that you like the flexibility this offers, including being able to access captured content that you can revisit in your own time and with regular guided learning materials.  

Assessments and exams 

In semester 1 of 2021/22 assessments will remain online, with only a very small number of exceptions. This includes exams, because we need to avoid the risk of disruption in January 2022 should the pandemic worsen again. Online assessment is expected to continue for Semester 2, but we may be able to run more timed exams that are physically invigilated, and this will be reviewed and communicated with you nearer the time. Please note that online exams will be timed and may not always be 24 hour long. 

Your lecturers have started to review their module descriptions and any changes will be subject to all the expected quality assurance processes and sign-offs (including by Student Representatives) before being made available online for you to access. This process will be concluded in good time to allow you to choose your modules for next year with the information you need to make your decisions. We appreciate your patience while we undertake this work.  

I wish you all the best for the next couple of weeks of study before you have a well-deserved spring break. For those on campus, there will be a variety of fun things to do here over the holidays. Keep an eye on MySurrey in the next week or so for more information, and if you have any questions please do get in touch with MySurrey Hive.  

Take care,  


Teaching and assessments for 2020/21 academic year

The Government has announced the latest stage of its “Roadmap out of Lockdown”. From Monday 17 May, we are pleased to say that all students will now be able to return to campus. The Universities Minister, Michelle Donelan, has written to all students to confirm the latest changes.

Our Covid-security measures remain in place on campus to allow for a safe return, and this includes testing facilities.

Although we do not have face-to-face teaching, we hope that students will be pleased to return to campus to make the most of our study facilities throughout the revision and exam period, as well as enjoying social activities taking place during the remainder of the academic year.

Exams and assessments

Students on or returning to campus for the revision and exam period will be able to make full use of our study space facilities, including extra space in Library+ and bookable exam rooms in the Library and MySurrey Hive.

MySurrey Nest is open for students to use as a relaxation space, or additional study space if required.

Social activities in May and June

There will be many opportunities to make the most of the final weeks of the semester on campus. The latest government roadmap milestone means further social activities will be able to return from Monday 17 May. These include:

  • The Marquee is open with a programme of events being organised until 12 June. Visit the Rubix Instagram channel for the latest event information when it becomes available.
  • Indoor student sport – check out the full student sport activity timetable on the Team Surrey website.
  • At Surrey Sports Park the gym, swimming pool and other facilities have opened – take a look at the full timetable on their website.
  • Rubix Lounge will be open on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Wates House and The Bench Sports Bar will also open.
  • The Students’ Union will be hosting their End of the Year Show events in June. The first 3 nights have already sold out but 2 more nights (21 and 22 June) are being added due to popular demand - more information will be released on the Rubix Instagram channel shortly.

Travel advice

On Friday 7 May the government confirmed the rules for entering England from abroad, using a traffic light system to inform you of what you need to do depending on where you have been in the 10 days prior to your arrival. Please note that these guidelines apply to all, including students who are travelling for education reasons.

If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please contact our International Student Support team.

Keeping everyone safe

Don’t forget that as part of your return to campus, even if you are not returning for face-to-face teaching, you are expected to book a regular asymptomatic Covid-19 test (at Surrey Sports Park) at least once every week. You should take a test when first returning to campus, and then this needs to be followed up with regular weekly tests. You can find out more about testing on our Coronavirus web pages.

Restrictions will remain in place to protect yourself and others. We all still need to play our part in keeping control of the virus through regular testing and continuing to follow social distancing and other measures.

Many thousands of students are already back on campus – safely and securely making use of the facilities available and spending time with each other in line with guidance. We look forward to students enjoying the benefits of this latest stage of the government roadmap, and to further progress against the virus allowing for ever greater relaxations of restrictions ahead of the new academic year from September.

If you have further questions about any other aspects of campus return, please continue to make use of all the detailed information available on our Coronavirus web pages.

Best wishes,

Lucy Evans
Chief Student Officer

With the latest relaxation of Government restrictions from Monday 17 May, more of you may be returning to campus.

It is important we all continue to play our part to protect ourselves and each other, and to ensure life and activities on campus remain safe. We need to protect the new freedoms so we can continue to benefit from them.

All students who have already returned or plan to return to campus must complete our essential 15-minute online course about staying Covid-safe.

  1. View the presentation here.
  2. Complete this online form.

Regular Covid testing remains essential.

Please remember how important it is to continue to take regular Covid tests - every 3 to 7 days. This will also help us all to stay safe and continue to benefit from the easing of lockdown.

  • Getting tested regularly has got easier. From Thursday 20 May, when you attend the Asymptomatic Test Site at the Surrey Sports Park, you will have the option of collecting two packs of home test kits (14 tests), so that you can test yourself at home twice a week. You can book your test and collection time here.
  • Please remember it is vital that you report your home test results - whether negative, positive or void. This is to ensure that the data collected by the NHS gives an accurate picture of the transmission of the virus in the community and will assist in preventing a further wave of the virus and potential lockdown.
  • If you receive a positive test result, you must report this to the University's Rapid Response Team and follow all government rules on self-isolation to protect yourself and others.

If you are back on campus, or are able to return, please enjoy the chance to use all of our study spaces, catering, sports facilities and the social activities planned between now and the end of Semester. Please continue to follow all relevant guidance on social distancing, face coverings and other measures to stay safe.

We have come a long way together - but let's continue to look after ourselves and our community.

Take care,


Lucy Evans
Chief Student Officer

Following confirmation of the UK’s move to Step 3 of the “Roadmap out of lockdown” all students can return to campus to engage in hybrid learning from Monday 17 May.

Our Covid-security measures remain in place on campus to allow for a safe return.

We hope that students will feel confident in returning to campus to make the most of our study facilities throughout the revision and exam period, as well as enjoying a number of social activities taking place throughout the remainder of the academic year. 

Most of our teaching and services will be delivered in a hybrid way – both in-person and online. 

We have completed our work to review your programmes and modules to ensure that through hybrid learning your programme will have all the teaching and assessments needed, so you can meet the learning outcomes as you would expect. You can look up your faculty and then your programmes through our dedicated course changes pages to find out:

  • Any changes to the assessment of your modules
  • If a module has had to change the semester it is taught in
  • How module workloads are changing
  • How much of your teaching will be face-to-face and how much will be online
  • Any modules that we have had to suspend

We have reviewed all our teaching spaces – including classrooms, laboratories and studios – to make sure that the spaces have been modified to comply with government guidelines.

If you have any questions about your programme, please do contact your Academic Hive via email on:

Remote Study Agreement (RSA)

We do realise that a small number of you, there will still be difficulties returning. We will do our best to support these exceptional cases where we can waive the need to return to campus through a Remote Study Agreement (RSA). To apply you must complete the RSA form

The criteria to apply is listed below and will only be for some programme. 

  1. If you have symptoms of Coronavirus or you are being asked to self-isolate due to any Government track and trace initiative.
  2. Where travel restrictions in the country or local lockdowns in a region of the UK that you are currently living in mean that you are unable to travel to campus.
  3. If you have a disability or long-term health condition and online-only learning could be considered as a reasonable adjustment following review from our Disability and Neurodiversity team.
  4. For any other reason where your arrival on campus is delayed due to the impact of Covid-19.

Final year international students should be aware that if they want to apply for the Graduate Route (Post Study Work Visa) then they must return to the UK and hold a valid Tier 4 or Student Visa in order to be eligible to apply. Please check our website for exact dates on when you must have returned to the UK and further information on how and when to apply for the Graduate Route Visa.

Please also note that if a RSA is agreed and you started a one year Masters programme in September 2020, or are due to complete a longer masters in September 2021 we will need to withdraw your visas. The Visa team will be in touch with you about this. 

We will be introducing a “safety net” policy for every student in every year of a taught programme (levels 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7) for 2020/21. It will be similar to the policy introduced last year, with the overall aim that we guarantee students’ final overall grade for this year will be no lower than the average they had achieved for Semester 1.

As approved in 2020, students on taught programmes can trail up to 15 credits*. 

The introduction of a safety net for January 2021 means that, in addition, students on taught programmes will now by entitled to an increased level of compensation for another year: up to 30 credits at L5, L6 and L7, and up to 15 credits at L3 where possible and permissible by the Professional and Statutory Bodies Requirements (PSRB).

Finally, given that most of our teaching and learning was delivered through well-designed, planned hybrid education throughout Semester 1 of 2020/21, the University will view Semester 1 as the safety net. This means that no student will receive a lower overall grade for this year than their performance average for Semester 1, as long as all module assessments are attempted and passed and/or compensated.

You can read the full details about the safety net and emergency regulations on our dedicated MySurrey page.

*What is a trailing credit?

Where a student on a modular programme has achieved a minimum of 105 credits, they may be permitted to progress and simultaneously undertake an outstanding 15-credit module alongside the standard 120 credits on a full-time basis. This is referred to as trailing credit.

There are two types of trailing credit: “deferred” (see Regulation 67 for deferred assessments) and “failed” (see Regulation 69 for failure and reassessment). Students must successfully complete trailed credits from the previous level in order for further progression to take place. You can read about this in more detail here.

Extenuating circumstances

Please remember that we would encourage any student who feels their learning has been impacted disproportionately to make use of our extenuating circumstances procedures. 

Students may submit up to three self-certified ECs applications per academic year. Applications must be submitted in advance of the coursework deadline or the start of a timed assessment event. 

Academic Hives

We will share a full set of safety net FAQs soon. If you have any queries, please contact your Academic Hive:

If you are unable to attend face-to-face teaching sessions because you are self-isolating, you need to complete the self-isolation reporting form and let your academic hive and module leaders know so that you can keep up with your studies remotely, if you are well enough to do so. If you have Covid-19 symptoms, you can also request a test from the NHS by calling 119 or via our Rapid Response team.

Academic hives:

In most cases you will be able to join timetabled face-to-face session through a Zoom link. There will also be opportunities to have Q&A appointments with your module leader.

Most assessments in hybrid education are administered online using the virtual learning environment. Any exceptions to this will be provided by your programme leader.

Resit period

The late summer 2021 assessment period will be all online.

We understand that you must be disappointed but please don't worry - we're here to support you. Please complete our self-isolation reporting form now. We have a dedicated support team who will be in touch to guide you through the next steps and will we help you arrange a new arrival date.

We have created a MySurrey self-isolation support guide which provides you with lots of advice about self-isolating, and the UK government has shared ‘stay at home’ advice and guidance for households.

If you have not yet arrived and have any questions, please contact us at and we will be able to advise you.

Living in campus accommodation

The University recognises the challenge that restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic pose to students currently living in on and off-campus student accommodation. 

We are committed to supporting you regardless of your living situation, and we are increasing the support available to those who are living in University accommodation and required to self-isolate on arrival or during your time with us. 

If you need to self-isolate at any point, you'll find full details about how to access our support services on our dedicated MySurrey self-isolation support guide.

Regardless of where you are currently living, please follow  Government advice on social distancing and self-isolation (UK) or the advice from the government of your home/host nation if you are abroad. 

The government advice is that, wherever possible, students should remain at their vacation accommodation and should not travel to access their University facilities (unless there is a medical or welfare need). Students should not travel back and forth between two addresses, but it is acceptable to move house during lockdown. 

If your accommodation contract is ending and you wish to either vacate your accommodation or return to collect your personal belongings from your room and move to a new permanent address, you are allowed to do so following the guidance below.  

If you are unable to collect belongings due to travel restrictions please contact accommodation so we can ensure your belongings remain safely in your room.  When you are able to travel to collect belongings, please adhere to the guidance below.

If you are unable to vacate before your contract end date, please contact accommodation  to arrange an extension.

Guidance for collecting belongings 

If you are travelling from outside of the UK, please check the requirements to enter the UK.

You will need to have had a negative Covid-19 test before entering your accommodation, to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. You can book through the asymptomatic Covid-19 test at Surrey Sports Park prior to arriving on campus or get a test locally where you are currently staying before coming to campus. 

Storage Options

The University does not provide a pack and store facility but you may choose to opt for a storage company to pack, store and ship your belongings. The Students Union website has more information. 

Collecting Your Belongings

If you are in shared accommodation, please let anyone living there know that you will be collecting your belongings. We ask that you access your flat and room alone, and that no guests or family members enter the flat. Please keep your interactions with other students to a minimum, adhere to social distancing, wear a face covering whilst on campus in all areas, wash your hands and use sanitiser regularly upon entering and leaving the buildings.  

Can someone arrange for a family member or friend to collect belongings? At this time, we are unable to admit friends or family members into the accommodation to collect your belongings.

If you anticipate needing help to move anything, please contact us beforehand so that we can support you.  

Once you have collected your belongings, please ensure you drop your key at the reception and tell them you are 'checking out', confirming that your room is empty, and your contract has come to an end. If reception is closed, please use the key drop box, and email accommodation.

Undergraduate Students living in University-managed accommodation who were not permitted to return to face to face teaching before 17 May 2021 will now be able to apply for a final rent credit – covering the period 10 May 2021 to 14 June 2021, or until their return to University-managed accommodation, whichever is sooner.

Who does this apply to?

This final accommodation fee credit is only applicable to undergraduate students who had not previously been permitted to return to face-to-face teaching and are not currently resident in University-managed accommodation.

For anyone who returns after 10 May 2021, a partial rent credit will be available for any period between 10 May 2021 and the date of their return to their accommodation.

How to apply?

To apply for accommodation fee credits please complete this form, which you can access by logging in using your university credentials.

If you have any queries about rent credits please contact the accommodation team

Please remember the University has a means assessed Hardship Fund which all registered students who have exhausted all other sources of funding may apply for when in financial difficulty.

We request that friends or family members do not enter your accommodation, unless there is a medical need to assist you, in which case please ensure your helpers wash their hands before and after entry to your flat, wear a face covering at all times and maintain social distancing from other residents.

You must not meet socially indoors with family or friends unless they are part of your household - meaning the people you live with - or support bubble.

support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.

Support bubbles in accommodation

In our accommodation, students living in studio flats or those flats with only one other student are allowed to form support bubbles, which means:

  • We are not allowing students in accommodation to stay overnight with their support bubbles but they can visit and spend time in the homes of other single occupancy households.
  • We are not allowing students from a single occupancy household to ‘bubble’ with a multi-occupancy household.
  • Students can bubble if both households are to be of solo occupancy for significant periods of times, (permanently or if all students have left accommodation for the rest of the term or the vacation).
  • Once you’re in a support bubble, you can think of yourself as being in a single household with people from the other household. It means you can have close contact with that household as if they were members of your own household.
  • Once you make a support bubble, you should not change who is in your bubble.
  • Continue to follow social distancing guidance with people outside of your household or support bubble. This is critical to keeping you, your family and friends as safe as possible
  • If anyone in your support bubble develops symptoms or tests positive for coronavirus, follow the stay at home guidance.


  1. If a student lives alone in a studio flat on Manor Park, and he is friends with another student who also lives in a studio flat, they can bubble.
  2. If a student lives in a studio flat on Manor Park and has a boyfriend who lives in Battersea Court which has only him living there, they can bubble.
  3. If a student lives offsite in a flat alone, and she has a friend in another flat offsite who lives alone, they can bubble.
  4. If a student lives in a studio flat and wants to bubble with another whole flat, they can NOT bubble.

Our accommodation team and residential wardens are on site to ensure you have a safe environment from the moment of your first arrival on campus, with social distancing measures in place during the accommodation check-in.

There will be an online induction before your arrival and online warden welcome talks providing details about the services that are available at the University, including receptions and where to go to send and collect parcels and post. All of our meeting points, including receptions, have been risk assessed and Covid-secure measures, such as screens, signage and hand gel, have been implemented.

The conditions of residence, which include general health and safety, are being adapted in accordance to the latest UK Government advice. You are expected to comply with both sets of guidance.

Accommodation space is cleaned regularly by University cleaning staff, although students are expected to keep their areas clean and tidy after use.

The University’s Housekeeping staff will collect rubbish from kitchens daily (weekdays only), clean kitchens and common rooms weekly (weekdays only) and clean communal areas (such as toilets, showers and corridors) twice a week.

If you are arriving from abroad then you must follow the guidelines for entering England set by the UK government

If you are travelling from a red list country you must complete your mandatory quarantine period in a quarantine hotel, which should be booked in advance. You cannot complete this quarantine/self-isolation period in your accommodation.

If you are travelling from an amber list country you can complete your quarantine period in your accommodation. Please complete the University’s self-isolation form to notify the Accommodation Office, so they can process your early arrival date (please be aware that we do our utmost to house you in the same room as you have been allocated but may need to put you in temporary housing and move you after 10 days). You will receive an email confirming your revised arrival date.

If you are travelling from a green list country you do not need to quarantine on arrival in England.

You can find out more about these restrictions and find out exactly what you need to do depending on where you are travelling from on the website.

      Please make sure you adhere to all guidelines, and allow plenty of time for travel and self-isolation before your course restarts face-to-face teaching.  

      You can visit our dedicated MySurrey self-isolation support guide to find full details of how we can support you on arrival. 

      If you are self-isolating because you have symptoms or have tested positive for Covid-19, then this impacts your whole household/support bubble so everyone in your flat will also need to self-isolate.

      Self-isolation after arrival from abroad is a compulsory precaution which the UK government requires new arrivals to undertake even if you are not displaying symptoms. This only impacts the individual who travelled – not anyone else living in the flat/area – so only the student who has travelled needs to self-isolate. However, if that student develops symptoms or tests positive for Covid-19 during that time, then the whole household would need to self-isolate.

      We understand that self-isolating is challenging but please be reassured – we are here to help you throughout your 10 day self-isolation period. You'll find full details about how to access our support services on our dedicated MySurrey self-isolation support guide, including how to request support from a 'self-isolation buddy'.

      Our priority is to provide a safe living environment and to protect all residents. Currently you are not permitted to have any visitors or overnight guests in your room. We will keep this measure under review and inform you if this changes.

      Students in support bubbles can visit and spend time in the homes of other single occupancy households, but they cannot stay overnight. Please read our "support bubbles" FAQ for more information.

      We recognise that students living in close proximity to one another will create some extra anxiety. There are some things that you can do to not only reduce your risk of infection but to also help those around you who may be self-isolating.

      Please read the advice given by Public Health England, in particular for the use of shared spaces if you live with other people.

      If you are living with someone who is self-isolating, please recognise that they may be going through a challenging time, particularly if they are feeling unwell. It may be helpful to offer to become a “self-isolation buddy” which involves supporting them while keeping yourself safe.

      Here’s our tips for how you can help as a “self-isolation buddy”:

      • Keep in daily contact via messages, email or phone calls.
      • Try to avoid even brief face to face contact but if you do have to, limit this to less than 15 minutes and no closer than two metres (three steps away).
      • Help them access food by offering to shop for them or meet online shopping services. Deliveries can be left outside their door.
      • Collect medication from the pharmacy if possible or collect their prescriptions.
      • Encourage them to contact their personal tutor and if they have not done so.
      • Encourage them to eat if they can and drink at least two to three litres of fluid per day.
      • Encourage them to call NHS 111 if they are becoming more ill.
      • Call Security on 3333 if you are seriously worried about their health.

      No, the people you are living with do not need to self-isolate by staying at home unless they travelled with you. However, if you develop symptoms, the whole household that you are living with will need to begin self-isolating. This includes your flat if you are living in University accommodation.

      You must stay away from others who didn’t travel with you, so it’s important that you clean all shared areas after you have used them and stay 2 metres apart from the people you live with at all times.

      It’s important to avoid as much contact with other people in your home as possible to reduce the risk of transmitting coronavirus. You should stay in a well-ventilated room with a window to the outside that can be opened, separate from other people in your home.

      If you are unwell, self-isolating or receiving supported treatment for coronavirus (Covid-19) you must also evacuate the building.

      We have decided to maintain our current evacuation procedures when responding to the discovery of a fire or responding to a fire alarm; however, the procedures will now be supplemented with additional guidance to reflect current PHE advice particularly in relation to distancing and good hand hygiene.

      Therefore our revised evacuation procedures are as follows:

      If you discover or suspect a fire:

      1. Immediately operate the nearest fire alarm call point.
      2. Fight the fire (but only if trained and safe to do so or your exit is in immediate danger of being blocked).
      3. Evacuate the building closing all doors behind you.
      4. Proceed to the assembly point and keep a distance of at least two metres from others.
      5. Do not re-enter the building until instructed by Security.
      6. Try to minimise touching your face until you have washed your hands.
      7. On returning to your accommodation, immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.

      On hearing the fire alarm:

      1. Evacuate the building closing doors behind you.
      2. Proceed to the assembly point and keep a distance of at least two metres from others.
      3. Do not re-enter the building until instructed by Security.
      4. Try to minimise touching your face until you have washed your hands.
      5. On returning to your accommodation, immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.

      Whilst evacuating, please keep at least two metres from others in your accommodation and maintain this distance once you our outside the building. If you have any concerns, please contact Security on +44 (0)1483 68333 and advise them of your location.

      If you are living in a University managed property or a private rented property, please follow all UK Government guidelines and complete the student self-isolation form. If you are in student accommodation such as Scape, please follow local guidance too, if available.

      Your housemates will not have to self-isolate unless they have symptoms, have travelled from a country requiring self-isolation or have been in contact with a person who has tested positive.

      Please follow the same guidance for using communal spaces, including cleaning regimes, social distancing and usage of space. Try to spend as much time as you can away from communal spaces.

      If you live off campus and require support please contact University of Surrey Lettings ( who are able to offer help and advice to all students living in private rented accommodation regardless of who their contract is with. Make sure you visit our MySurrey self-isolation support guide to find out how we can support you if you need to self-isolate.

      Over the summer we carefully considered many different options for how we can deliver a safe environment for our whole community. We felt that encouraging all students to maintain social distancing in learning and teaching spaces, regardless of household bubbles, would be the easiest message to deliver and follow.

      Adding caveats to that would have created more confusion and possibly some distress for students who may not be living with students on their course, and thus could feel alienated if they are the only one in a room that could not break social distancing.

      It would have also required students to inform us of their living situations with enough notice for us to organise teaching groups and timetables, which would have created extra challenges for both staff and students at a time when we were already facing a number of added complexities to teaching this semester. 

      Placement and study abroad students

      Please be aware that the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) continues to advise against all non-essential international travel to some countries and territories. Many countries have also imposed their own self-isolation requirements, entry restrictions and/or border closures and students should:

      • Check FCDO country page to see whether the FCDO advises against all but essential travel to your intended destination based on the current assessment of Covid-19 risks.
      • If the FCDO continues to advise no non-essential travel, all students should follow this and make no plans to travel. You should speak to your host organisation in case alternative arrangements can be made. Where the FCDO advises against all but essential travel to a country based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks, the University insurance policy is not operative for students intending to travel there, and we are therefore unable to approve travel or recognise physical placements in these countries where the guidance and travel restrictions remain in place.
      • If there are no FCDO travel restrictions in place, please check the destination country government advice (using the FCDO country pages for that destination) and/or with local host institution that there are no restrictions to travelling to that area – or travelling home e.g. self-isolation requirements – visit the Government website. Please also check the advice of the government of the country from which you are departing if it is not the UK. All may prove to have restrictions on travel. 

      From 4am on 18 January, if you intend to travel to EnglandScotland, or Wales, including UK nationals returning home from travel abroad, you must provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result taken up to 3 days before departure. If you do not comply (and you do not have a valid exemption) your airline or carrier may refuse you boarding and/or you may be fined on arrival. You must also self-isolate when you enter the UK from any foreign country except Ireland, unless you have a valid exemption. You must think about the extra days when planning your travel to the UK. During this time you won't be able to attend the University, see other people or leave your accommodation except for very limited reasons. We don't know how long these measures will be in place and they may be subject to change at short notice. 

      All other current entry requirements and restrictions continue to apply. You can find further details in the government's guide to entering the UK.

      We advise all students to follow Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) travel advice specific to the country they are visiting.

      If you have any additional questions and are currently:

      Updated government guidance on travel in educational settings

      The Department for Education and Public Health England has released updated guidance for UK students, university and college staff over the age of 18 travelling overseas during term breaks, or for placements and exchanges. The guidance advises them to look at the latest FCDO travel advice and Public Health England (PHE) Public Health matters guidance.

      UK students over the age of 18 due to travel on behalf of their education institution are being advised to speak to the institution before the trip to discuss whether the trip should go ahead. All UK students and staff currently studying or working overseas are being advised to continue to monitor travel advice issued by the FCDO and comply with any Covid-19 control measures put in place by their host nation.

      Students on Erasmus+ exchanges are advised their travel may have to be postponed or cancelled to and from regions affected by Covid-19 and are told to speak to their provider in case alternative arrangements can be made.

      UUK has updated its dedicated coronavirus (Covid-19) information page with this new guidance as well as with the new advice from government on what to do if you have symptoms.

      The insurance position is that applications may be made by placement/study abroad students for cover via Travel Cert under the University’s PA and Travel policy - provided the FCDO is not advising against all but essential travel to a country based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks . Please check the FCDO country page. Individual country requirements may still apply in some cases and you need to double check that there are no destination country government restrictions on entry or on your return that will prevent you travelling. For more detail see above and the advice under the FAQ: I need to book my travel and accommodation for my semester/year abroad, do I go ahead?

      Please note that the cancellation/curtailment section of the University’s insurance policy has an exclusion (7) relating to any cancellation or curtailment claims for flights/accommodation etc in the event of the closing of a country’s borders or the imposition of travel restrictions due to ‘regulations made by any public authority or government or persons with the authority under legislation or licence to make regulations’ so please bear this mind in terms of any decision to travel and the costs of doing so.

      Our insurers have also imposed new restrictions with effect from trips starting from 1 November 2020 whereby cover may not be available for Covid 19 related cancellation/curtailment claims if, in addition to the FCDO, the World Health Organisation and/or any local regulatory/governmental advice in place in your destination or the destination you set off from, advises against travel in that area. This just affects the ability to recover cancelled travel and accommodation arrangements – and not other sections of the policy eg medical, but we would advise you to double check all these bodies before you commit to any travel costs.

      Always contact for further advice if you need it and refer for general information on all other procedural aspects to travel.

      Please view the dedicated information for researchers

      If you return to the UK earlier than expected it may affect your student finance, depending on what you choose to do. Find out more from the SLC issued guidance for current students related to the Covid-19 outbreak. The FAQs cover payment, assessment, term dates, changes of circumstance, study abroad, DSA and more. You can also view the HEP Services website.

      Graduation for our 2019, 2020 and 2021 cohorts

      For more information about upcoming ceremonies and related arrangements visit our graduation pages.

      We are delighted to announce that Graduation will be happening in person, on campus this July!

      The ceremonies to celebrate you and your achievements will take place between 12 and 23 July, with our 2020 cohorts graduating in week one, and our 2021 cohorts graduating in week two. We will also be inviting our 2019 Health Sciences graduates back during the fortnight too. 

      To find out more and book tickets please use the links below. 

      Please note: if you are booking travel and accommodation please ensure your travel insurance will cover you if you do subsequently need to change or cancel your bookings. Unfortunately, the University will not be able to refund any ancillary costs, such as for travel and accommodation, should government guidance change and the event be cancelled. 

      Advice for our students' families

      Our Coronavirus website explains the measures that we have put in place to support our students during their time with us. We hope this information provides reassurance that the health and safety of our students is our first priority.

      This student page covers our student health and safety campus induction, and FAQs on teaching in a Covid-secure environment and living in our accommodation.


        Please visit our general 'advice for all' page to read our FAQs on the following topics:

        • Our MySurrey self-isolation support guide, which features everything our students need to know about self-isolating, including how to request a self-isolation buddy
        • The Covid-secure measures we have put in place across the University
        • Our face covering policy and the Surrey Sunflower initiative
        • How to report a Covid-19 case and how we will respond if a student tests positive for Covid-19
        • Our planned response to national lockdown or local outbreaks
        • Our lockdown FAQs about asymptomatic testing for students and the return to campus for Semester 2
        • Travel advice
        • A range of resources to support the physical, emotional and mental health and wellbeing of our students

        Our Rapid Response team is in place to advise those with Covid-19 symptoms on how to get a test, and to support staff or students who receive a positive test and need to self-isolate. Full details are on our Request a test and report self-isolation page.


        Starting university is often incredibly exciting and a little daunting for many students and their families.

        In October we held two Zoom webinars to discuss the support options available for our students, our Covid-secure processes and how we will respond to a local outbreak.

        Thank you to everyone who joined us – and don't worry if you missed it; you can watch a recording of the event:

        If you have any further concerns and need to contact the University, you can email our Coronavirus inbox or call our helpline on +44 (0)1483 685510 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm). In an emergency, you can call our University Security team who are available 24/7 on +44 (0)1483 68333.

        Let's all play our part to keep our community safe

        Watch our video guide to find out about the steps we have taken and the Covid-secure measures we have put in place to keep you safe on campus.

        Communicating to you

        All official communications from the University to students are delivered via:

        So we can contact you via text message to inform you of any important information, please make sure your mobile number is up to date on Surrey Self-Service.

        We’re aware that there is a lot of understandable concern about the current situation. This concern has led in some places to some inaccurate rumours circulating. If you are unsure about the accuracy of any information please check this page in the first instance or email